all the same ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

metalmat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
quick but stupid question are all open water referals the same? it's 4 dives ..
all it is is 30 minutes of skill test ? i have heard that the 4th is a plain old dive ..

Based on my limmited experience it depends on how many students are on the dive. All you need to do is perform a certain set of skills on each dive. If there are only 1 or two students you can normally blow through the skills 5 - 10 minutes. The rest of the time you can just enjoy the dive (at your instructor's discression.) If there's a large class, it can take a while to run through everybody's skills. By then, someone's out of air, dive over.

My 4th dive was anything but "just a plain ol' dive." My instructor makes our 4th dive a beach dive. So we have the surf entry/exit + any skills that hadn't been accomplished in the first 3 boat dives. I was doing surface navigation on my 4th dive and a couple of other skills. Granted, we were done in about 15 minutes, so we still had another 20 minutes or so for "plain ol' diving," but we definitely had skills left to complete.

PADI's first dive is just a dive...the rest are pretty well scripted as far as skills to accomplish.

xSandman3:
PADI's first dive is just a dive...the rest are pretty well scripted as far as skills to accomplish.
That was more my experience. My first dive was only for diving to get us accustomed to diving in the ocean versus the pool. On dives #2 & #3 (also on the boat) were skill-based and then free-diving upon completion of the skills. Dive #4 is the beach entry with completion of skills.

Depending on the Agency they all should be the same. Quality is another matter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom