All weight on back? Or some on belt?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

proyce

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I leave for a week of diving in Cozumel on Saturday. I have a DSS BP/W. The plate weighs about 5 pounds, which is all I need for fresh water. I have additional plates I can add to the back plate to give it a total weight of 13 pounds, which ought to do it for the salt water in Coz. However, if I do that I will have no ditchable weight. Should I forget about the additional weight on the back plate and use a weight belt for my additional weight in Cozumel?

proyce:
Should I forget about the additional weight on the back plate and use a weight belt for my additional weight in Cozumel?

Yes.

you should always have some ditchable weight when you have no redundant buoyancy.

I'm a no-ditchable-weight kinda' guy (although in my drysuit, I could pull some out of my Weight 'n Trim), so when in Coz and HI, I enjoy just my backplate. Those places use AL80s, and I can easily tread water with an empty BC.

Besides, I'm not big on dropping weight. That kinda' activity can kill you.

Just my two cents. Many others disagree.

I suppose that the rest of the equipment configuration as well as what you are doing comes into play.

I've always felt that the ascent to the surface should be controlled, thus dropping weight scares me. In fact, I cannot think of a good reason why one would want to be so loaded down that a BC failure would necessitate the dumping of weight in the first place.

Granted I have only been in temperate to warm water with a single Al 80, but is there any reason why one would need to sink like a stone to begin with?

spacemanspiff1974:
I've always felt that the ascent to the surface should be controlled, thus dropping weight scares me.

His position is ideal as dropping the belt would see him losing only part of his weight.

As for the rest, I'm so going to start cutting up OW cards :D

You only need weight to allow for a proper S/S with an almost empty tank. The rest of the time it's basically an albatros around your neck, which is why you don't over-do it.

Where's my scissors...

Thank you for your replies. I will be diving a full 3 mil suit. I am thinking that I will do some shore dives the first day to determine exactly how much weight I need. They had me wear 16 pounds last year for my OW cert in Hawaii, but I may find that if 5 pounds is enough with this rig for fresh water, that I will only need about 11 pounds for salt water. In that case, I wouldn't need the weight plates at all. However, if I get cold after multiple dives on several days and switch to a 5 mil suit, or just add a vest and/or hood, that will change everything. I guess my question should have been more of a philosophical dive question: How many people dive with no ditchable weight at all? If you do, could you swim your way to the surface if you couldn't add any buoyancy at depth?

proyce:
I leave for a week of diving in Cozumel on Saturday. I have a DSS BP/W. The plate weighs about 5 pounds, which is all I need for fresh water. I have additional plates I can add to the back plate to give it a total weight of 13 pounds, which ought to do it for the salt water in Coz. However, if I do that I will have no ditchable weight. Should I forget about the additional weight on the back plate and use a weight belt for my additional weight in Cozumel?

Most likely you will be overweighted if you use the weight plates. Plus... you are going to have to pack those plates in your luggage... all 8 pounds worth. I suspect your best shot would be to use a weight belt. You probably won't need more than a few pounds.

Another way to do it would be to use a 2-3 pound STA. That wouldn't be much to pack and it would probably be just what you would need for weighting... assuming that you are using the same exposure suit and cylinder that you use in fresh water as you mentioned above.

An important half of the equation when diving without ditchable weight is having a dependable buddy and good buddy skills. If you don't have that then you would be wise to plan on some ditchable weight. People often overlook this very important point.

If you need 5# in fresh you won't need 11# in salt.

If you are worring about switching into a thicker suit at some point during your trip then just add what you need to a belt. Or... get some cam band weight pockets. Then you will have all kinds of choices.

proyce:
I guess my question should have been more of a philosophical dive question: How many people dive with no ditchable weight at all? If you do, could you swim your way to the surface if you couldn't add any buoyancy at depth?

That's actually the real question (and answer) for all this. I'm glad you brought it up.

If you can swim up the rig from depth, with no air in the BC and with a full tank, with whatever wetsuit you choose, then the problem we're trying to solve with what weight and where becomes moot as far as a balanced rig is concerned. You have achieved the goal.

Now just make sure it's all situated for perfect trim and you're laughing.

Scuba Steve,

Did I say something wrong? I'm thinking that if you had an almost empty tank, a BC failure and no ditchable weight it would be ok if you were only a couple of lbs negative. Providing of course that when you were at the surface you could reach back and pop them out of your trim weight pockets.

On the other hand, having no ditchable weight coupled with the ability to sink like a stone would be very bad.

Please let me know if I am missing something.

Back
Top Bottom