Alligator grabs attention of diver!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike_s:
what was the original headline/subject before it was edited here?

Alligator Grabs Diver!

It would have won me awards from the National Enquirer... here it gets edited by liberals. What's odd is that the people at the National Enquirer and the Scubaboard Staff are exactly the same in their ideals... but they would completely disagree on content... I find that amazing - don't you?

It would have won me awards from the National Enquirer... here it gets edited by liberals.
Since it was totally false, I think Rick was kind in fixing it rather than pulling it off the New Divers forum.

DandyDon:
There's a park south of Houston somewhere where you can walk the trail around sunning gators that are used to humans walking around. No problem, but walk way around.

Saw one lady walking her toy poodle on the trail. Some people aren't too smart. :11:
In my neck of the world, it's the Bald Eagles that snag the poodles (and cats, chickens, pet ducks and rabbits, etc...) There was a story in the paper a few years back about a Baldy that swiped a tourists poodle while it was being walked on a leash at a rest stop.... part of the story included a description of the husband half of the tourist couple throwing his fist in the air while saying, "YES!!"

We call those small yippy dogs, "Eagle Bait" :D

:D
catherine96821:
We used to see alligators in Crystal River Florida when we were kids. We would dive there in the springs. The alligators scared me but my dad made us get in and dive anyway. He always insisted that only crocodiles go after people. (he makes things up though.) I wonder if they are still there....

So how much did your Dad insure you for ??

Paul in VT

you can walk the trail around sunning gators that are used to humans walking around.

Don,

Around here it is the ones that get used to people that become a problem.

-V

Snowbear:
In my neck of the world, it's the Bald Eagles that snag the poodles (and cats, chickens, pet ducks and rabbits, etc...) There was a story in the paper a few years back about a Baldy that swiped a tourists poodle while it was being walked on a leash at a rest stop.... part of the story included a description of the husband half of the tourist couple throwing his fist in the air while saying, "YES!!"

too right here in the UK, small dogs (well retrievers actually) are currently "eagle owl bait" following this story. The details (broom handle, miniature daschund) conjure up some wonderfully vivid images:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/02/03/nowl03.xml

Snowbear:
.... part of the story included a description of the husband half of the tourist couple throwing his fist in the air while saying, "YES!!"

THAT is great!!! LMAO!!!

ghostdiver1957:
Alligator Grabs Diver!

It would have won me awards from the National Enquirer... here it gets edited by liberals. What's odd is that the people at the National Enquirer and the Scubaboard Staff are exactly the same in their ideals... but they would completely disagree on content... I find that amazing - don't you?

Ghostdiver1957,
I dare say Mr. Murchison is no liberal.

The headline that you posted, based upon the content of the anecdote you related in the post, was a outrite lie.

Rick simply changed the "headline" to reflect, more accurately, the crux of the story. Even after Rick's correction, the title is quite a stretch.

With respect to your reference to the National Enquirer, no, the ScubaBoard is not the National Enquirer.

If you wish to post such tripe, may I suggest that you do so in the National Enquirer, not here.

the Kraken

DandyDon:
Since it was totally false, I think Rick was kind in fixing it rather than pulling it off the New Divers forum.

Apparently you're not familiar with the use of english language. Many things can be grabbed. Your attention is one of them. A headline reading something is Grabbed is not false when in alludes to ones attention.

Haven't you ever said or heard anyone else say that something "grabbed them?" and by this they meant something they read or saw or heard. This means it grabbed their attention... much as the Alligator did here. It is not wrong to use the word "grabbed" in this context.

What is wrong is that our educational system continues to fail to teach proper use of the english language vernacular.

Ghostdiver,
I can assure you I have no plans to play games with you in semantics.
If you care to pursue this matter with me, please do so in PM.

the K

Back
Top Bottom