Almost a poll...how many divers on this board are landlocked?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

170 miles to the nearest quarry.
200 miles to the Gulf coast.
2 miles to the Chattahoochee River, but I don't dive it because I'd glow in the dark.

Epinephelus:
I must drive by you on the way to the gulf.

Jarhead

I live a couple of blocks from the only approved shore dive on Chicago's Lake Michigan waterfront - the Chess Pavillion just south of Lincoln Park. Not much of a dive, but highly entertaining.

Otherwise, there are five harbors (Burnham, Waukegan, Kenosha, Racine, Milwaukee) with charter dive operations in the vicinity, travel times range from 20 minutes to 2 hours.

And a couple of mudholes (Haigh, Pearl Lake) within 1-1/2 hours.

Steven

I am about 15 minutes from the beach here in Jacksonville, and about 1-2 hours from most of the springs. I usually drive up to N.C. to dive with Olympus Dive Center, that's about 8.5 hours from here.

I'm about 15 minutes from 5 or six inland lakes, 45 minutes from about another 20 or 30 inland lakes, 30 minutes to an hour from dozens of sites on lake michigan and 2 to 4 hours from beau coup wrecks in lake Huron, Superior, Michigan, & Erie.

Our diving possibilties are almost endless. You just can't be afraid of cold water and low vis.

Great place for a diver to live!

3.5 hours to the Gulf of Mexico (but another 3-10 hours on a boat to get to anything worth diving).

45 min. to the nearest good lake. 1.5 hours to the Gulf but the waters around Galveston are diveable unless you like chocolate milk viz! So we usually drive about 10 hours to Panama City, Florida for 'local' salt water. Although the Flower Gardens are closer, it's more dependable diving in PC....not to mention cheaper.

250 miles from any quarry in any direction.
480 miles from the Gulf of Mexico.

Jarhead:
I'm comeing home to Mobile in a few months I'll swing by and pick you up and we'll meet Epinephelus.

I could drive 5 minutes and dive, but it would be in green water with 0 vis. I prefer to go to a place called Lake Wazee about 2.5 hours away. Very enjoyable dive site and worth the trip. Average vis 20 feet or so (+-).

I'm about 90 miles from Gedunk [ I'm in Clare, Mi] and 80 miles East of Lake Michigan. 80 miles West of Lake Huron. Few big, deep lakes and lots of small ones. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom