Almost certified, then I injure my shoulder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hostage

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am new to scuba and I am finally glad to find a populated forum.

So far I love scuba, I completed all the PADI classroom, exam, and pool scessions. I even scheduled my open water dive. Then I got injured, I have a Type II AC Seperation on my left shoulder. I had to call and cancel my open water cert. dive :( It has been two weeks since I got injured on Sunday and I have a followup with the Orthopedic on Thursday. I currently am out of the sling and have full movement of my arm. Everyday it feels better. Has anyone had a similar injury and how long did it take you to recover before doing activities again like Scuba?

I have avoided lifiting heavy objects, but it didn't feel so great when I jerked my arm back as a reaction to being burned. It only hurt for a couple minutes and that was last Friday. I feel pretty normal, but I do have that feeling that something is not the way it use to be.

I hope to find out when I can finish my diving course.

Regards,

Hostage

First off, congrats on finishing your classroom, exams and pool sessions.

I had something similar but at a worse time. I was taking SCUBA for college credits and about 1/2 through the semester I tore the muscle off my fibula. I missed all but the last closed water session. Aced the exam, but the instructor was pretty much not going to issue a referral based that I just missed to much pool time.

My best suggestion (and I am pretty familiar with orthopedic stuff on the patient end), listen to your doc and don't rush it. I rushed some healing when i was younger because it 'felt fine' but ended up screwing myself later in life (rushing the healing caused it not to heal properly and as such, long story short, had to have a hip replaced at 32).

Just follow with the doc and let him know your doing SCUBA etc.

Best of luck,

Brian

I have not, but my son ( a competitive swimmer) did. He was on modified exercises for most of a month. To him that meant only swimming breast stroke, since all the other strokes have overhead movement. This was a problem for him since he is primarly a breast stroker. The main point is listen to the docs and let it heal, not need to rush recovery. the water will be waiting for you when you get better.

I don't know about the injury you have however for a something to think about... The swimming might not give you trouble cause you keep your arms near your body and hopefully not waving around much. I was however thinking about getting your gear on. At my OW class we put all our gear on the grass and with a buddy had to pick up the rigs and get them on which did require some arm power to pull it up and to twist around and pull on the straps. Just tossing this our there for you to consider. Maybe you can talk to your instructor about additional help getting your gear on or where you'll be putting it on.

Grade III separation here. I was pretty much back to normal in about 6 weeks.

#1 for listening to your doctor first!!!
set-up and doffing and donning would be my concern
along with bulling and jambing a wetsuit on!!
you want to get the most out of your training
make sure youre good to go-then enjoy it!!!!
best of luck
have fun
yaeg

I went to the followup today and while they seemed impressed with my recovery, he did seem hesitant of the idea of me diving with the injury. I am following their advice and going to followup in two weeks. While I told him that the hardest part I forsee is getting into a wetsuit and carrying a heavy tank, I think the worst thing are the unforseen things that can happen. He advise me to increase physical activity, while keeping pain as my limitor. He also suggested I might consider a physical therapist.

Insightful of you ato focus on putting on exposure gear and lifting the scuba unit. I also like the post that said be recovered to the point of enjoying the dive. I can tell you that if you have any concerns about the shoulder, you will have other problems: buoyancy control, skills execution, ear issues- because the heightened stress factors will affect everything. So don't rush it. You have a lifetime of FUN in diving ahead of you.
DivemasterDennis

I'm not familiar with your exact shoulder problem, but I recently went on a dive trip with a healing shoulder. Like yours, sudden jerking movements are not very comfortable! I just thought I'd let you know how it worked out for me.

First, I asked my PT, and he was fine with me doing it and using my own judgment (he's not a diver). So it was on me. I called the main dive op I knew we would be using (boat dives) and asked if they had a problem with me donning and doffing in the water. They said no, and in fact the shop owner had a previous shoulder injury, so they were on my wavelength. Another factor in my favor was that with the very warm water, I would not have to struggle in and out of a wetsuit (that would have been difficult).

Still, I did not book any dives in advance, and my buddy knew there was a chance it would be a no-go (and we would snorkel and do other stuff). I don't have a pool available to me here, so I had to wait to check it all out until I was there.

I made sure I could get into my BC on land, which I could. I loosened up the shoulder straps quite a bit, which was no problem because the crotch strap keeps things pretty tight.

Then, the first day of the trip, I rented a tank from the shop, and practiced donning and doffing the rig (in the water) in the canal near our lodging, to see how it would work. It seemed fine, although I already knew that I would not be diving in rough seas (entry/exit), strong current, etc. The only reason I even tried it is that we were talking about "easy," shallow reef dives (not that I was being complacent, but relative to other possible dives; we're talking 20' or less dives in seas where you can basically just ascend anywhere/anytime if you need to).

Well, it worked out just fine. I donned mask, weight belt (only 2#, with which I am still very buoyant), and fins, held onto my right arm, and jumped in. The DM eased my rig into the water (to keep reg from free flowing), and I donned it while staying at the tag line.

Actual diving underwater was fine; I could do OOA drills and etc. I could not reach my tank valve but I made extra sure my air was on before descending, and my buddy stuck close by. My arm position was not quite like usual, as I could not hold it out in front of me; but I could get it up far enough to keep an eye on my computer. It was my right shoulder so the inflator was no problem.

The second week I was more sure of it not being too "delicate" so we went out on a wreck dive. Knowing that if there was any current to speak of I would be bubble watching from the boat. We got out there and it seemed a little choppy to be donning my rig in the water (no current though), so I tried jumping in with it on. Turns out that was fine (the tight waist belt/crotch strap and loose shoulder strap kept strain off my shoulder), so the rest of the trip I only doffed in the water.

I know this may not apply to you exactly, but I figured you might find it useful.

Blue Sparkle

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom