Almost on my way

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Allison Finch

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Well, it's down to the wire. I'll be on my way in less than a week. People ask why I'm so excited when I've been there so often. I can only say that it is BECAUSE I've been there that I'm excited. I know what to expect and I can't wait.
I will let you all know how it went when I return next month. See ya!
I'll be thinking of you all.......

Bon voyage!

Allison Finch:
Well, it's down to the wire. I'll be on my way in less than a week. People ask why I'm so excited when I've been there so often. I can only say that it is BECAUSE I've been there that I'm excited. I know what to expect and I can't wait.
I will let you all know how it went when I return next month. See ya!
I'll be thinking of you all.......

Yeah, and you are getting me fired up cause I'm right behind you. You've been there before but for me it's a new destination so everything will be a brand new experience there. The first time I see the people, the first time I go muck diving, the first time I see what the viz is like, the first time to a new country that I've never been to before, the first time to see the jungle in PNG, the first time I see many of the marine life that I've looked at in the "indo-pacific CORAL REEF field guide". I've wanted to visit this place for along time.
I got some balloons, some pencils, some candies and maybe some clothes to trade or give away, what else should I remember?
I've got permethein for my clothes, some deet, my malaria pills, my sleeping pills for the plane, my shots for hep. A&B, what else am I missing?

Maybe, I'll see you soon! :crafty:

caymaniac:
I got some balloons, some pencils, some candies and maybe some clothes to trade or give away, what else should I remember?
I've got permethein for my clothes, some deet, my malaria pills, my sleeping pills for the plane, my shots for hep. A&B, what else am I missing?

I wish I brought more clothes to give them when I went last year. Load up on the clothes if you could. Size SMALL ideally but they can use anything you can spare. They could really use clothes more than anything else. The kids also asked me for magazines.

This always created a dilemma for me. The clothes are always a good thing but giving them other stuff??? They are such happy, content people that I worry if they get to exposed to the Western world and our stuff will they then miss it because it is not readily available.

caymaniac:
Yeah, and you are getting me fired up cause I'm right behind you. You've been there before but for me it's a new destination so everything will be a brand new experience there. The first time I see the people, the first time I go muck diving, the first time I see what the viz is like, the first time to a new country that I've never been to before, the first time to see the jungle in PNG, the first time I see many of the marine life that I've looked at in the "indo-pacific CORAL REEF field guide". I've wanted to visit this place for along time.

Film film film lots of film. Have a great trip
David

Take care and have fun. We will miss you at the next UW Digital group meeting...which I just got the email on. I want to see the pictures when you come back.

I hope to get some great pics. If I don't, it is sure no reflection on the gear...just me.

Caymaniac, I went to the local thrift shop and bought little people's clothes. I filled all my empty spaces with them, along with the school supplies, medical supplies and gifts for the crew who are like family to me. The island women on Garove Island (the Witus) told me that they really needed kids clothes. They have schools there and many kids have no school clothes. I give the clothes to Dickie Doyle to distribute to the neediest folks. He will be fair with the giveaway. I also resist taking any t-shirts I like and will leave them all to the crew for family distribution. One year I took and older BC and regulator (replaced but still very nice) and gave it to one of the divemasters for her own. They often use the boat's gear. It was very appreciated.

Tell Capt Brad on the Star Dancer that you know one of the "Notorious Finch Sisters" and demand he meet up with the FeBrina sometime. I really would like to say hi to you. And PLEASE play some practical joke on him in my name!! I'll buy you both a beer, mate!

You will have three to four cabin girls who work their tails off cleaning the rooms, cooking, doing laundry etc etc etc. I always take a little something for them since they are low on the totem pole when the trip end TIP is divided. They will not forget you.

Allison Finch:
You will have three to four cabin girls who work their tails off cleaning the rooms, cooking, doing laundry etc etc etc. I always take a little something for them since they are low on the totem pole when the trip end TIP is divided. They will not forget you.

I second this. The girls work their tails off!

The Star Dancer is a great ship and you'll have a blast.

Back
Top Bottom