Almost ready for SP-350 and PT-030...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jinjer:
If you want to be able to use TTL with your strobe and the PT-030 housing, the only modification you need to the housing is to install the Heinrichs-Weikamp Replacement Bulkhead. T

Doesn't the PT-030 have a bulkhead?

At $225 the Heinrichs-Weikamp Replacement Bulkhead costs more htan the housing!

The combination comes to around $400 which is not far from an Ikelite housing. Why bother with the PT-030 at all if this modification is needed?

Is it really needed?

I'm new to this so please have patience.

imho no, ttl is not essential. If you have it and learn to use it, great, it's another tool. If you don't have it, you won't miss it. Either way, you need to learn to use your strobe in manual mode for those times that ttl doesn't produce the results you want or when it goes down.

I do not have ttl on my current strobe, think the new one does, but won't use it. Used to ttl in the very very beginnning. Bagged it after a while and went manual. Never looked back.

Again, like any bit of equipment, you've got to learn to use it properly - ttl or not :wink:

As Alcina mentioned, TTL is not essential, you can use a Fiber Optic connection with your strobe if you want. But the great thing about the SP-350 in the PT-030 housing is that you have the option of upgrading the housing to use TTL, if you decide you want it. Whereas, TTL is not an option with many point and shot cameras.

The great thing about TTL is that you don't have to worry about adjusting the strobe power manually. The camera controls it for you, just like it does with the flash on the camera. But on the same token, if you feel the strobe is firing brighter than you want for the picture, you just adjust the Flash power on the camera. I have that set as one of my shortcut buttons on my SP-350, so it is easy to adjust.

Jinjer:
As Alcina mentioned, TTL is not essential, you can use a Fiber Optic connection with your strobe if you want. But the great thing about the SP-350 in the PT-030 housing is that you have the option of upgrading the housing to use TTL, if you decide you want it. Whereas, TTL is not an option with many point and shot cameras.

What do u mean by "PT030 can b upgraded into a ttl housing" ? isn't all ready a ttl housing using the flash fl20 with its housing?

Yes, evidently you can use it with the FL20 flash in the housing, but keep in mind that the FL20 is a flash that is designed for use above water. Also, the housing for the flash costs at least $200, so it is no cheaper than my solution.

The nice thing about replacing the bulk head with the Heinrichs-Weikamp Replacement Bulkhead is that you can now use it with any Nikonos strobe. So for basically the same price, you get more flexibility by being able to use different strobes.

Could any of you PT-030 owners supply me with pic of your rigs? I guess non-TTL since that will have to come down the road.

I would really like to see what I'm looking at setting up and see what you are all talking about with the fiber optic connection. I assume that works off the camera's flash and some flash advance needs to be programmed in so then the strobe fires at the correct time?

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom