Alor ? Best of Indo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the interesting thread guys, the new place Kilimaya sounds interesting, I know PNG will deliver. But I guess I'm asking if you had to pick one destination in Indo, which would it be ? all things considered in RA superior to the Banda Islands and Alor ? If I'm going to be paying top dollar I want to see big stuff. I rate RA as one of the most complete places I have dived, it was outstanding diving.

My personal travel manta is - keep exceptions low, so I aways exceed my low exceptions. With my customers, I gently under promise and over deliver. Each dives site has their own flow with big stuff and schooling fish. This is true for just about all dive sites in Raja Ampat, Banda Sea, or Alor - even with the best guide. A light current or slack tide might shut down big fish, or by season or by the day, the fish just pack up their bags and go elsewhere.

Last week, we had completely difference experiences at one lovely dive site, east of Ceram Island. The presence of schooling fish and big fish varied greatly between two dive groups and between our two dives in the morning. If I really wanted to experience big fish, I would consider traveling to temperate oceans, such as Sorocco Islands or Cocos Island. Or follow Wingy's fins and visit Fakarava or Rangiora. I am considering visiting Kilimaya in June, and will provide an update - unless I decide to go back to Alor. :wink:

If I'm going to be paying top dollar I want to see big stuff...

I guess I would then question as to why Indonesia? I don't really consider Indonesia a "big stuff" destination... at least not like I would Palau, Cocos, Galapagos, etc.. Heck, if you really want to go see big stuff and assuming you are in the UK, I would highly recommend flying to Miami or Fort Lauderdale and diving our of Jupiter, Florida: great diving with TONS of big stuff (bulls, hammers, reefies, lemons, maybe a tiger, Goliath groupers, southern sting rays, eagle rays, etc...)

If it is big stuff in Indonesia then I have to go with Komodo (sharks and mantas) followed closely by Raja Ampat (sharks and some mantas...but maybe not).

.. or why not Tofo Mozambique.

Hold that thought guys - I'm waiting on someone to get back who's word I would put stock in who's in that general area......but not Tofo. New possibility but I'd rather wait and see footage myself and find out info thraight from the divers reg :wink:

Yet another option is a new resort in east Sumbawa, Kalimaya Dive Resort.
Interesting, had I known this resort would have probably booked in august, it's a bit late now....

HI Guys, loving this thread, I have dove the GI, Palau x2, Moz, SA,FP , tonga for the Whales, and I agree they are awesome, trouble is i can't afford to dive like that every year! unfortunately ! Socorros is next on my list for sure, you have really got me interested in Florida, is August a good time to go ? If not when is ? any info on Florida would be most welcome. But back to this thread, all things considered is RA the best location in Indo ?

Interesting, had I known this resort would have probably booked in august, it's a bit late now....
Luke, I will probably check out Kalamaya, perhaps with a closely space visit to Alor. I am curious about the resort, although good friends have raved about the diving.

Looks like an interesting place... dived around the area a few years ago and was very good !

Looking forward to your feedback Charlie !

Back
Top Bottom