alternative air source for newbies....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You guys in Cold water have free flow incidents more frequently than in S Florida, where the water temps rarely dip below 70 degrees. I've only seen freeflows from octos that needed to be adjusted.

Again, thank you all for this feed back.

I use an air integrated computer (oceanic pro plus 2), it gives me a lot of confidence about the remaining air that I have. I am very glad to have it.

Icarusflies:
Again, thank you all for this feed back.

I use an air integrated computer (oceanic pro plus 2), it gives me a lot of confidence about the remaining air that I have. I am very glad to have it.

This comment might spark a few retorts, even though you made it in good faith. The truth is you should not rely solely on your AI computer for air supply info, you should have, and consult, an analog SPG. AI computers, at least the wireless ones, are notorious for intermittent failure. Keeping your eye on the SPG over some time will give you some experience in knowing how your gas pressure relates to time and depth.

mattboy:
This comment might spark a few retorts, even though you made it in good faith. The truth is you should not rely solely on your AI computer for air supply info, you should have, and consult, an analog SPG. AI computers, at least the wireless ones, are notorious for intermittent failure. Keeping your eye on the SPG over some time will give you some experience in knowing how your gas pressure relates to time and depth.
Why? If your AI computer dies... you abort the dive...

pete340:
If you know that it died.
How wouldn't you know? Unless you don't ever look at your computer (in which case, an analog gauge wouln't work too well either). Either it has a display or it doesn't.

I look at my computer at least every 2 min. Besides the tank pressure my computer gives me the the remaining dive time which take into consideration the nitrogen, the no deco time remaining, the ascending time needed at my depth (including safety stop), and of course the remaining air and gives me the lowest of these numbers so I know how long I have. I have also set my computer so it takes into consideration that I want 500 psi left in my tank when I get on the boat.

Icarusflies:
I have also set my computer so it takes into consideration that I want 500 psi left in my tank when I get on the boat.

Icarus, you seem very apprehensive about running our of air. I look at my guage maybe 2-3 times during a dive and I always know how much air I have within 100-200 psi. Do you know why you want 500 psi left when you get on the boat? You sound like someone who could benefit from learning gas planning so you won't be so worried. I'm not saying that not being concerned is not a good thing, but if you have the tools, you don't have to worry.

I'd ask you to consider your air supply you want to have at the surface as not being a static thing. For example the depth you dive will determine to an extent the amount of air you have left at the surface because you should be considering your buddies air consumption into your air supply. IE if you have 500 psi at 30 feet and need to do a safety stop and your buddy OOA's you you're going to find yourself running out as well.

The topic of calculating how much air to leave the bottom with has been covered well before, look up rock bottom for examples of how to do it. So don't try to hit the surface with 500 psi on every dive, on a shallow dive it's fine and dandy but it's not appropriate on every dive.

I think you're beginning to enjoy the sport, it's fun and safe as long as you pay attention but to be fun you're got to relax and enjoy the sights as well.

The computer is a nice tool, use it but don't come to rely on it for everything.

howarde:
How wouldn't you know? Unless you don't ever look at your computer (in which case, an analog gauge wouln't work too well either). Either it has a display or it doesn't.

Or it displays wrong information.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom