Alternative recommendations for G. Cayman?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divebomb:
We had planned on diving there next June. From what I've read, the re-build will be slow due to a small pool of skilled construction workers.

Can anyone recommend an alternative that has great diving and also good beaches/shopping, etc. for several people that will not dive?

Thanks, Beck

Well by next June, it's quite possible that a good portion of GC could be up and running so I'd have to agree with Smonster that it's a little premature to panic. GC is going to need all the tourism it can get to help them rebuild.

However, if you end up deciding that you want to go somewhere else, you should look into Curacao. Great diving, reefs are in good shape with plenty of marine life, and nice beaches. Curacao has Willemstad, a large city with lots of name-brand stores for the shoppers in the group. There are many nice hotels there, depending on what you're looking for. Just an idea....:)

You should come to Grand Cayman in June. Smonster is right - we need all the tourists we can get.

I met Alain & Marlene the owners of the Turtle Nest last night in Castaways (a sort of Italian/Caribbean new restaurant in Red Bay already reopened offering 3 dishes & cold beer) & they said they were reopening the Turtle Nest on Dec 15th & had today replanted some coconut palms on the beach in front of their place. Although Bodden Town took a bad hit their place fared well & we would welcome you here.

Sheila,

We are going to delay our decision for quite a while until we see how progress in going. It was our first choice and hopefully they can pull it together by then.

Please give me a trip report when you get back. I'd LOVE to have a first person opinion.

Thanks, Beck

Smonster:
divebomb:
We had planned on diving there next June. From what I've read, the re-build will be slow due to a small pool of skilled construction workers.

Beck, don't give up so quick on G.C. Depending on where you were intended to stay, a few resorts that I know of are planning to be operational by December. Sunset House and Turtle Nest Inn to name a couple. Our trip to Sunset House in February is still on. In fact, S.H. is 95% occupied by staff & family at this time. Their restaurant is open for business.

G.C. needs our tourism dollars, don't totally count them out.
Sheila

I'm hearing more and more positive input regarding GC. Ocean Frontiers and the Compass Point Condos will try to reopen by November this year. If you are still planning on June next year, you should be ok going to GC.

Anyone have any thoughts on Belize this November? We're unwinding out GC plans and diving is better than work.

divebomb:
Sheila,

We are going to delay our decision for quite a while until we see how progress in going. It was our first choice and hopefully they can pull it together by then.

Please give me a trip report when you get back. I'd LOVE to have a first person opinion.

Thanks, Beck

That's great Beck! I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. This will make our 4th trip back and although it will definitely look a lot different, I'm sure it will be a great trip.

As far as another place, check out Cozumel or Roatan. We just returned from Coz in August & from Roatan in May and they were both great. Coz had a little more shopping opportunities than Roatan though.
S.

divebomb:

Can anyone recommend an alternative that has great diving and also good beaches/shopping, etc. for several people that will not dive?

Thanks, Beck

Have you been reading all the post that Grand Cayman will be reopen November 1st, 2004. All the hotels that can are housing skilled workers to recover. Some parts will take longer but other are already to reopen. Grand Cayman needs all of us divers to go and help support them. Sounds like the reefs and marine life are all healthly. I also here the shopping district is untouched. They even have more beaches now. June is a long ways off. Give them a chance to recover before kick them in the ***......

From what I keep seeing, GC has no hotels until 12/14/2004.
I'd love to go there, but all the hotels have been following the same date for reopening. If someone has different info, please post where they saw it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom