Alternative to gloves for keeping hands warm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DIY Muff?
Old wetsuit arm. Cut if off at the elbow, place hand through the wrist hole (arm without comp, etc) and roll /push the extra onto your wrist/forearm. Getting cold? pull it down and insert opposite had into the elbow end.
Not ideal, but might work if you can't find something else.

Pogies look brilliant! I like the idea of being able to keep my handsfree when I want as well. The old wetsuit arm could also work great - I had started looking at those neoprene elbow/knee braces, but the wetsuit arm is already made to fit around hands. I would have to find an old wetsuit to cut up though.

I also contacted the marine park and they said I could just speak to the dive shop about a medical exemption. I don't have Reynauds but I will talk to my doctor. I'm on a hormone med that can impact temperature regulation, and I also have Hashimoto's that they've been telling me is subclinical but I wonder whether it could also have a subtle effect.

JMBL, what kind of medical documentation worked for you?

Thank you so so so much to everybody. I am feeling confident that I will figure out something that works. All things being equal, I think I actually like the idea of muff somewhat better than gloves, but I will look for a decent set of gloves as a back up. I will look around the boards but in case anybody is still reading this and has a pair to recommend, that would be great.

Thanks again!

JMBL, what kind of medical documentation worked for you?

Well, I wasn't diving in Roatan, and I had previous history with the owner of the facility, so it was more some kind of gentleman's agreement : trust me I've a condition and I give you my word I won't touch anything.

All went well, but I know he would have been satisfied with a paper from my GP.

What about just bringing some reusable heat packs? Stuff them into bcd pockets or any other available pocket and bring them out every so often to warm your hands. Used them under a
Wetsuit a few times and they are quite warm and nice. Products Page | HotShotz Heat

Coming back for a semi-update.

I did get a doctor's notes, though I ended up not trying to use it. The summer diving was much easier than the winter diving. But actually what really worked was that I had got a flashlight! I thought it would be nice for seeing more colors and helping me focus on things underwater, but the side benefit is that it's a great little hand warmer as well. My next diving will be in (tropical) winter, so I'll see how that goes!

Just get your doctor to write a note saying that you need to wear gloves due to a medical condition. If anyone asks just say that you have poor circulation and your hands get cold.

Just get your doctor to write a note saying that you need to wear gloves due to a medical condition. If anyone asks just say that you have poor circulation and your hands get cold.
That’s what they did…..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom