Alton's Dive Center

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaLuuke

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Does anybody have any experience at all with Alton's Dive Center in Utila Honduras? If so what made you have these feelings and thouhts? What did you like and what didn't you like? Do theY use the DMs as in water dive guides or do they just use them above the surface to ensure that the divers get in and out of the water safely? Any info is greatly appreciated.

I dove with them a couple of years back. I was not impressed about the boats. Apparently their boats were being serviced and they had their daily dives running out of "tiburoneras" (long boats with outboard motors and were you sit almost on top of your gear).

The trip was long, uncomfortable and made me decide to skip my next dive with them.

As for their DM's - Yes they dive with you.

Hope this helps and hope their boats are back up. I can tell you that the best boats I have seen in Utila are from the Utila Dive Center and the Bay Isaland College of Diving.

Hi Luke
Altons Dive Cnetre has lots to offer both the experienced and novice diver alike, they have two main dive boats which are running well. All dives are guided by certified DMs with a maximum of 5 divers to a group and they are divided into Advanced and Open water groups. In the morning the boat leaves at 08:00 for two dives normally on the north side or you can go in the afternoon for two dives, although the afternoon boat tends to be student divers on training dives.
There are various accommodation options, on site are basic dorm or twin rooms with shared facilities, these range from$3 to $5 a night for divers. Off site but close by are other options including A/C en suite from $10-$20 a night.
On staff they have marine life experts and photo experts should you wish to enhace your diving experience. They also have a guy who gives a weekly talk on the fish of the island which is very informative and entertaining, certainly worth the hour or so it takes (and its free)
Check out their website www.diveinutila.com
I would dive with them again.

Good luck

Ad

Hi Luke,

I'm going to be biased here as I do work at Alton's...as Ad has said above our two dive boats are running well. Since Semita dove here we have bought a new boat, rebuilt another and a third should be coming out of dry-dock soon. All are fast and comfortable, and we're not diving off dories any longer.

Our DMs do dive with you, but we have small groups and long-term DMs only...they know the sites, they know the reef and they know all the fish. We don't hire DMs who are just passing through looking to dive for a couple of weeks for free, as does occasionally happen on the island, nor do we send groups out with DMTs, as also happens here.

I came here in April 2004 for a week, and I'm still here...most of our staff has had the same experience with Alton's.

If you need any specific information about Alton's, or about Utila in general, feel free to PM me.

Ali

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom