Aluminum 80' as a Pony Cylinder?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lobbolt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am considering slinging an aluminum 40', using a stage strap kit as a pony cylinder? Is this unwise in any way (size, weight, etc?). Since the prices for an 80' and 40' are about the same, why not carry more gas for the same priced cylinder?

:confused:

i do this occasionally for that slightly deeper dive on a single tank holiday trip.

Attachments

• 202.jpg
    202.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 191
You can do whatever you chose.

An AL80 is rather large and more difficulty to carry around than a 40.

I wouldn't base your choice on price, I'd base your choice on how much gas you need for a pony.

Have you calculated your gas requirements for a pony?

I do it all the time when traveling. If I want an AL40, I have to bring one with me, but AL80s are found at every destination. I bring a sling-kit and spare regulator only (technical diver style). For me, it isn't so much a calculation of how much gas I need as it is the availability of the AL80, and I actually prefer the way the AL80s ride underwater. The extra gas leaves you a lot more options on dealing with someone else who is having a bad day. For that occasional deeper dive where the extra gas is nice (but within recreational limits), sometimes my wife will jump in with it, use a third of the gas, then pass it to me. I'll use my third and then stow the cylinder. We use it at the beginning of the dive and leave it with 1000 PSI left in it; that way we both have plenty of gas on our backs for another diver, and I also have the option of handing off the AL80 to a diver needing gas.

The other way we'll do it is to each take a slung AL80, breath them down to empty first, and then switch to our back gas if we need more. For the second dive, we just swap out the slung AL80 for a fresh cylinder, but re-use our back gas (the sling is a lot more convenient to change). Sometimes we'll even have different gas mixes on our back and in the slung AL80, but you should be trained as a technical diver before attempting this.

Remember that you can breath the slung AL80 down to 200 psi, but you need to keep enough gas on your back to help someone else. Don't forget the implications of the slung cylinder only having a single second stage regulator.

At home, I have plenty of AL80s, AL40s, and AL30s. I typically grab the AL30s for recreational diving. Easier on my back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom