Aluminum 80s versus larger steel tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Will be glad to post some profiles. I'll pull the trip logs and post some tomorrow.

-

But do you have gills like most dive masters?

I'm actually curious about your statement that you get longer dives on the AL80 than the steel 100- is it because you spend the dive fighting with the heavier tank? Because with more air, that seems really counterintuitive.

I have used the 120 cu ft tanks a lot and just seem to have one minor issue that I struggle to correct.

CozUpsideDown.jpg

I have used the 120 cu ft tanks a lot and just seem to have one minor issue that I struggle to correct.

Well, at least you don't have to worry about kicking the reef.

But do you have gills like most dive masters?

I'm actually curious about your statement that you get longer dives on the AL80 than the steel 100- is it because you spend the dive fighting with the heavier tank? Because with more air, that seems really counterintuitive.

No I don't have gills and I'm not 120 pounds like Dan suggested (thank you Dan, only in my dreams :) - but yes Skittles, I think it has a lot to do with fighting the tank - so as I said, I am personally more comfortable with an AL tank. With an AL tank I use 8 - 10lbs depending on how long it's been since my last dive and how much I've eaten that week - haha! With the steel tanks I still tend to be overweighted with 0 - 4 pounds - and I constantly fight the rolling tank.

As far as larger people needing more air - not necessarily true either. I routinely see 220lb+ average to overweight for their height men get 60+ minutes form their AL 80 and likewise, petite women blow through their air in 45 minutes - so that argument doesn't hold much weight. It has more to do with comfort and skill of the diver, being properly weighted, and general cardiovascular shape.

So the steel tank think is purely a personal preference thing for each diver. The dive logs I will post later are from our regular divers the past few weeks, not mine (I'm just going to pull the last few weeks of logs) - I haven't been in the water for almost 2 months - and I just had surgery last week - so it will be another month or two before I can get in the water again :( So I may need a refresher course :)

Our dives are 60+ minutes 95% of the time (even those who start the week getting 45 minutes) - and very often go 70/80+ minutes depending on the divers - and no, that's not just Columbia shallows -

Our dives are 60+ minutes 95% of the time (even those who start the week getting 45 minutes) - and very often go 70/80+ minutes depending on the divers - and no, that's not just Columbia shallows -

So guess how long those same dives would be on steel 120s... I'd venture longer, but now I'm learning the reality is they would be shorter. :idk:

As I said, only on scubaboard...

Nobody needs to justify why they don't provide steel 120s, it's your business to run as you see fit.

But for people to be 'annoyed' by others 'repeatedly' 'bringing it up' (steel 120s) is ridiculous. I could be annoyed at people repeatedly bringing up the advantages diving with a valet op or an op that uses small fast boats. To each their own.

Now, Christi if you bend reality by getting longer dives on tanks with less air, so be it. But the whole discussion of an argument on the basis of more air on a dive is bad is to me is either ridiculous or is a dive operator making a futile attempt to diminish an obvious perk of the competition.

Only on scubaboard is more air bad when it comes to scuba diving. Silly, silly, silly.

Why even dive al 80s, wouldn't 40s be all anyone needs?

Dear Christi,

If you are uncomfortable with the HP tanks it must be because your BC is/or was too loose. I lost some weight a while back and my Dive Rite BC was loose…hated it, especially in swirling currents. Bought one that would fit tight and it was all wonderful again. Next time try a tight fitting BC and get rid of the lead.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

so it will be another month or two before I can get in the water again :( So I may need a refresher course :)

Perfect! You'll be ready just in time to get in the water with me & Mack & Lee & Mark! Mark your calendar for a birthday dive (mine) on June 29!

But for people to be 'annoyed' by others 'repeatedly' 'bringing it up' (steel 120s) is ridiculous. I could be annoyed at people repeatedly bringing up the advantages diving with a valet op or an op that uses small fast boats. To each their own.
Lots of people do get annoyed. They say, why do I need someone setting up my gear since I never let anyone else touch my gear? Or, why do I need someone rinsing and storing my gear because I like rinsing my own gear and hanging it up myself in my cramped hotel room? Or, why do I need snacks on the boat since I just eat before and after and I bring my own coffee maker? Or, why do I need a surface interval on the beach because I like sitting on a rocking boat? Then there's the popular Scubaclub mantra: why do I need a small fast boat, when it's more sociable to be with 20 other people? Or the hotel dive shop mantra: why do I need an outside dive shop when it's more convenient for the resort op to pick me up at the dock than for another dive shop pick me up at the dock? And, of course, my favorite: why do I need someone else to wash my pee-soaked wetsuit, because I like the smell of dried urine?

---------- Post added May 8th, 2014 at 06:43 AM ----------

Last edited by a moderator:
The only thing that really puzzles me is why only 3 dive operators have gone to larger tanks? Seems like a total no-brainer to me, when you look around and see one of the most successful operators offers large tanks why that wouldn't be on your radar? I'm goofy like that, I see success and I want to take the easy road and just copy it instead of fighting it or be mad at it.

The other side of the coin is that there are many successful dive operators using the AL80 model, so why is one the model for success and the other not?

Then there is the matter of cost, at least for me. One of the reasons I go to Coz is because it's relatively cheap. I really don't want to be pushing into $100 per 2-tank trip.

This is a timely thread for me. My past trips to Cozumel I have dove with Christy's op and loved it. Shout out to Christy and Pedro! The only issues were my own. At home in MN I dive an 8mil semi dry suit using al80 tank and carry 28lbs of lead. The water is cold and long dives are not a concern to me because I am ready to end the dives due to being cold. So when I get to Cozumel my first day or two of dives my sac rates are high and improve as the week goes on. I will diving with Aldora for the first time at the end of May and my reason for doing so is to get longer bottom times during that adjustment time that I just described. Also diving a thick suit and going to my 3 mil always means adjustments in fit of my black diamond bc. I am sure those first few dives will have some frustrations with fit and getting use to the steel tanks.

Gaffer (Tom)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom