Aluminum backplate durability question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been diving Tobin's gear and following some of his posts on the various web forums since shortly after his stuff became known. If there's anyone you can trust to know EXACTLY what he is talking about, and be right without a doubt, it's Tobin.

DSS has produced and sold thousands of Kydex Back plates.

If it is cold enough to make kydex brittle the "water" will be white and crunchy...........

Kydex is a Thermoplastic It is that very property we exploit to thermoform the plates. i.e. heat up the sheet, form it into the desired shape and let cool.

Tobin

The minimum service temperature for kydex is around -29°C at those temperature I doubt anyone will be doing any diving lol.

Anyhow, under normal diving conditions alu plates are plenty tough for pretty much anything, except abuse. All things considering, the first plates were made out of roadside signs so 5000 and 6000 series alu is more than strong enough. Dun jump on it, drop tanks on it or try something foolish that u wont do to your other gear or car and alu work fine lol

As far as durability, I'd say both should hold up just as well when using for traction to get your pickup truck out of a rut. If you're worried about bending it during normal use? I'd be more worried about your reg set you just dropped it on!

As far as durability, I'd say both should hold up just as well when using for traction to get your pickup truck out of a rut. If you're worried about bending it during normal use? I'd be more worried about your reg set you just dropped it on!

Hahaha, nice! I read this like 4 times before I got it! The image of a guy stuck in the mud looking around for a solution (plank of wood or whatever) and spotting his backplate in the trunk of his car is just priceless.

But yeah, this is the basic idea. Alu bp's aren't REALLY any weaker.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom