Diving or Duty

• Diving

Votes: 182 90.1%
  • Duty

Votes: 20 9.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm with TS&M on this one. If I weren't a relative, close personal friend, or godparent, there's no question what I'd do. Heck, I'd probably miss it even if I weren't diving.

Oh wait maybe I misunderstood the question. are you asking if you're a bad person because the thought of going to the baptism instead of diving crossed your mind? in that case, yes, you're a horrible person.

eckybay:
Okay....Here's the deal...I'm all ready to take my AOW class. Find out that the instructor I want to take it with is offering it in August.

Being the good girlfriend, I check to make sure the other half doesn't have something going on. He suddenly recalls that it's his best friend's baby's baptism.

I passed on taking AOW last summer because it was said best friend's wedding.

So the dilemma...diving or duty... I know which one I *want* to choose...

Ok OK Let me get this straight... you are posting a poll asking ...'THE board' if you should go to a baptism or diving.

A board that consists of a gentle mix of hardcore divers,dive-addicts that only think dream eat and sleep diving, newbies like me who are still in their this is new I like this I wanna dive I wanna dive party dance mood... and you expect to get an honest objective answer.... You my lady are CHEATING :14:

You want my honest answer. Compromise... In a months time my girlfriends younger brother first born will be baptised. My girlfriend is godmother. Unfortunately that same weekend is our anual Club diving weekend (once a year balls out dive and feast until you drop weekend)... so this poses a dillema.

How do you think this beautiful girlfriend of mine solved this... wel... pay attention and learn from the master... She made her brother change the date of the baptism... uhu she did. All arrangements with the minister, the feast, all invites to the family and friends... everything dropped because my ol lady wants to go diving. Now if this is not hardcore wanting to dive and negotiation skills then nothing is :D

beester:
How do you think this beautiful girlfriend of mine solved this... wel... pay attention and learn from the master... She made her brother change the date of the baptism... uhu she did. All arrangements with the minister, the feast... everything dropped because my ol lady wants to go diving. Now if this is not hardcore wanting to dive and negotiation skills then nothing is :D

:rofl3: :yelclap:

Although you will be remembered for infinity that you were the one who was not present at the Baptism, I find it odd that you cannot find another AOW class this summer. There are several each summer, through fall at our LDS.

Go diving, don't put it off any longer

eckybay:
So the dilemma...diving or duty... I know which one I *want* to choose...

Ya' know... this is the beauty of today's society... answer: Go Diving... that is something you have to physically participate in...

If you feel obligated to watch the baptism videos... thumb through the pics... read the transcript. Promise you'll be at the next one...

My two pence...

Oh... and as to being bad. Ummm... exactly do you define 'bad'... :eyebrow: You can be if you WANT to be ya' know...

Coming from some one who has been guilted into many, many things. Just go with your gut. My AOW has been/still is posponed due to flooding so every weekend I wait for the call to go to the water, some weekends I really, really am hoping I don't get the call.

Does the boyfriend dive? How close are you to this couple & child?

Unless is was a member of my family, I would skip the baptism. I am sure there will photos and videos galore!

Unless it's your boyfriend's baby, I'd say dive. You need to establish up front that your life doesn't revolve around his best friend. Perhaps if it was his brother, maybe. But even then, you need to establish that your life goals are just as important as his.

My best friend only gets to dive about 2 times a year now, if that. Since he got married, every single weekend there is some family event that he's obliged to attend. There's always a birthday, wedding, anniversary, graduation, or something. And when there isn't, then there is this infinite 'honey do' list.

I've seen it many times: a diving spouse + non-diving spouse = 2 non-diving spouses.

I've also seen many times where the non-diving spouse learned to dive before they were a "spouse" but as soon as the wedding was over, suddenly they had no further interest in diving.

You need to have a heart-to-heart talk with your BF to make sure you see your futures the same. IMHO

What would Dr Phil say?
Never mind.
You didn't hear it from me but this is the thought process of us men..."If I cancel my dive activities for this, then she might expect me to cancel it for every BS plan her and her friends and family decide to put on MY calender."
So if you were a man what would you do?

Are you a priestess? Will you be dunking said child? Will you not be subjected to numerous days of you and "best friend's" wife and you hanging with the kid while the guys are doing, oh let me think, almost anything else? I say get just as wet as the kid.

And if the boyfriend doesn't understand you can always look for a new diver friendly version in class. :eyebrow:

PS- Shouldn't you be his best friend? :1poke:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom