Am I being silly?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks all for your helpful words, i'm still apprehensive but considering going through with it.

Glad to hear that. The drift diving in Cozumel is so easy, so beautiful. You'll hardly use any air because you're just drifting and not kicking much at all. The water is clear and warm. It's really not very difficult, one dive and you'll see.

The one thing that always gets me about Cozumel is looking over the edge of the Gunwale and seeing the bottom of the ocean on almost every dive! HAVE A GREAT TIME AND LET US ALL KNOW HOW IT WENT! :D

Cozumel dive went pretty much without a hitch rain yes, heavy rain hell yes... but only issue i had was clearing on the first dive, but ascended a bit and i was good to go, buoyancy was spot on. Water was Crystal clear with visibility in excess of 100 ft i would say. it was pretty cool to be underwater and to hear the rain, then look up and see it, so cool.

Thank you all so much for your re-assuring words. The dive op was Sand Dollar and took great care of the 9 of us. the only thing i wish that the boat or at least the shop had was a dunk tank for rinsing my gear had to do that in the state room shower (that was interesting). I can't wait to see the video, though have to say that at 70 usd i heavily debated on passing, but seeing as it was my first ocean experience i wanted it. As for Grand Cayman and Ft Lauderdale; i didn't dive in Cayman but from what i heard from those who did...i didn't miss anything, visibility was terrible; got blown out in ft lauderdale. But Had a great time none the less.

Can't wait till next time. And to all those who say once you dive warm water you'll never go back to cold...i say see you at haigh next sumer :) cause where warm and clear is nice, so is cool and green, they're just different both fun and interesting. so...when is the next dive??? hehe:):dork2:

Sean

Cozumel dive went pretty much without a hitch rain yes, heavy rain hell yes...

My first OWD was in Cozumel in yes, VERY heavy rain (have to admit I was scared silly but - hell yes! - I was not going to let some rain get in the way) and it was so awesome! It was one hell of a drift dive and totaly got me hooked!

We only had one rainy day on my trip in August, but one of my best memories is hearing that sound (unlike anything I had heard before :) and descending face up watching the raindrops on the surface. Glad you had a good time of it!
I still like diving my cold green/brown lakes here in SW Missouri/NW Ark., but am counting the days until I am back in Cozumel (48 days, 10 hours, 16 minutes.... ;-)

So you didn't feel the need to use a private divemaster, but felt very comfortable with diving with the dive op. I take it that you shared with them your newness to ocean diving and they took care of you. Great!!!

About the cold water vs warm water diving. I loved diving warm tropical waters, but "my dive spots" in the cold murky Pacific Northwest are the best diving places in the whole world!!! No they are not warm, nor is the water clear, but it is my home. Also, I can grab a crab most any day and bring it back to my house and cook it and eat it the same day! "There's no place like home."

sean , i wouldn't worry too much. cruise ship guestd are usually taken to safer spots and the diveshops that conduct these programs are usually safety conscious ie. they don't like getting in the habit of losing divers!
secondly i'd say the word 'drift dive' would install a sense of terror into most people that have `t dived much! it's most probably only a nice and relaxing drift.
that being said, you're now a responsible diver so you can decide on the day. you forget a lot of factors like weather on the day, sea conditions on the day and so on. just wait and see! you can always opt out and go snorkellin instead or enjoy all those nice mexican fishes at more depth!
my guess is you'll be fine.....just don't get psyched out !
oh and let them know about your concerns if you have any.....professionals really appreciate it contrary to popular belief!
cheers
shmackles

As a newer diver, I found drift diving the most enjoyable with my buddy and following the dive master. It required little effort and my air lasted longer. The folks on the surface with the boat were great and waiting for us at the end of the dive.

Glad to hear you had a good dive. The first time I was in Coz on a cruise, it rained pretty hard. However, by the time the dive boat got back to the dock, I had washed my gear and showered. However, I had not dried off nor changed into dry clothes.

Also, while on a cruise, rather than rinsing your gear in the shower in your cabin, you can use the fresh water showers on deck by the pool. It is much less messy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom