Am I supposed to decend all the way to touch the bottom?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Slow your assent and "find" that neutrality. When you do, you'll feel empowered and thrilled with your new skill!

Thanks for the replies. When I talk about this stuff at work people look at me funny then go back to talking about golf! They laugh at my "expensive hobby" but a quarry pass is only 10 bucks and a friend hooks me up with free air! Life is good! Thanks again for the info and support.

One of the posters mentioned new equipment and it reminded me of something I would appreciate being confirmed or disputed.

I have been told (and it makes sense to me) that a new wetsuit shows a lot more variance in buoyancy over the first 20 or so dives than it wil later in life, meaning that as you break in a new suit you need to keep an eye on you weighting as a brand new suit may require more weight than an older suit to sink it ( hence the difference with battered rental suits).

On another point.
When I did my OW the instructor would make us descend to the bottom, gather us together and do skills, ending in fin pivot/hover before we swam off, and similar happened on checkout dives. It wasn't until my first proper (nontraining) dives that I realised that I should be neutral before reaching the bottom. Once I mastered dropping horizontally into a graceful stop in a hover a meter above the bottom I felt great about my diving, similarly when I mastered setting myself down on the bottom and 'lifting' off again using just my lungs.

These are actually the moments that make me feel like I might be a diver rather than someone who can swim under water with SCUBA

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom