Am I too old to take back up diving again?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few months ago, I dove with a 74 year old guy that didn't get certified until he turned 70. He was in good health and took care of himself. I also know 72 year old that dives in Jupiter several Saturdays each month, marine conditions permitting. He's also in good physical condition: we used to work out at the same gym and he was pretty strong for his age. I'm not terribly younger than you, am in decent but far from perfect shape and have no issues.

Talk to your physician and if you're in good health, nothing should stop you after you take a refresher class.

In Jupiter, all the diving is drift diving. If you use your own boat to dive, make sure you have other good pilots on board and you know the laws related to dive flags and boat proximity, etc. After your refresher, it might not be a bad idea to do a few dives with a charter so you can hone your re-aquired skills before you use your own boat.... just a thought. You'll need to be comfortable deploying an SMB off of a underwater reel and be comfortable handling a reel/float ball that the boat can follow.

Am I to old to take back up diving again? I'm 56 and mountain bike daily 10 miles.
I have a scorching hot younger wife that is prodding me along with her GF's into diving again. I'm game that's for sure.
Before I get in to deep with this 57 foot Carver in Jupiter FL. I want to make sure I'm not just a has been trying to start all over again and end up at the bottom of the reef so to say.
Any polite responses would be appreciated.

More information is needed. Please send picture of "scorching hot younger wife".

All kidding aside you have many "not too old" and ZERO "yes, you are too old" answers. That should tell you something. I am 48yo tech diver and tech instructor. I regularly older divers in my classes. These include everything from Open Water to Technical classes. If you think you are too old, or there is a reason not to be back in the water, there may be. If YOU feels good about it, your doctor feels good about, and your scorching hot younger wife feels good about it. GO DIVE! (after a good refresher course) :)

Heck back when I was 56 I was diving even more than I did in my twenties. Heck I still am more than 10 years later! Don't hesitate as long as you are medically fit (and it sure sounds as if you are)

Old fat cripple here that was a not quite so old fat cripple when certified about 5 years ago. I now have over 300 dives. I will be in FL for a least a part of this winter, so if you get that boat give me a shout and I will show you how us old guys can dive :)

More information is needed. Please send picture of "scorching hot younger wife".

All kidding aside you have many "not too old" and ZERO "yes, you are too old" answers. That should tell you something. I am 48yo tech diver and tech instructor. I regularly older divers in my classes. These include everything from Open Water to Technical classes. If you think you are too old, or there is a reason not to be back in the water, there may be. If YOU feels good about it, your doctor feels good about, and your scorching hot younger wife feels good about it. GO DIVE! (after a good refresher course) :)

Are thong swim suit pics allowed here though? I though most would be interested in the boat pics at least from my end of the computer.

I took my grandmother diving (72 then) way back in '88 in Hawaii... she loved it! You're never too old!

Absolutely NOT too old. Go for it, and enjoy many years of safe diving.

Seriously!. Or are you just trollin'. :D Started at age 50. Planning sidemount cave next year.

He is not trollin'. He is bragging. In any case the answer to your question is no. You are too old to dive. I will be glad to take your scorching (is that hotter than smokin'?) hot younger wife diving though since you can't cut the mustard anymore. 10 miles you say? Probably downhill all the way.

I am 66; but, I am already current.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom