Am I tying this knot correctly? Am I using the right line?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SaltyFrog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
However tight I pull these they always comes loose after a few dives.

I'm using cave lines but it feels to me it's too smooth?

Should I use other kind of line? Or different type of knot?
Or maybe I should just switch to a zip tie.. Any downside to that?

Thanks!

2E14255F-C81B-4D4A-AA7E-FDD28E7C0C3E.jpeg

Screen Shot 2021-05-27 at 9.42.21 PM.png

righ tline, wrong knot, and not finished properly. This is GUE's take, I do mine a little different in terms of how it starts, but they are all finished the same way

It tie a square knot on each side. I also burn the ends and also put a good dab of waterproof superglue on the knot and let it cure fully. It sets in the knot extremely well. I've never had one come undone and I have some that are years old and see regular use.

Knot is definitely wrong. Not enough loops and I think you have a granny instead of a square knot.

Here's another video:

And another:

I've always used the first method. The difference between the two is Simply Scuba ties a square knot on both sides. I've never had one come undone, but I think I'll retie at least my lights that way for redundancy.

The problem on lack of loops is because the hole on the light is too small.
It only allows for 1 thread.

It tie a square knot on each side. I also burn the ends and also put a good dab of waterproof superglue on the knot and let it cure fully. It sets in the knot extremely well. I've never had one come undone and I have some that are years old and see regular use.

Questions..

Which glue do you use?

And if you superglue it, then it's ok to use Zip tie?
I thought the reason to use line is because it's cut-able in an emergency. Are glued knots also cut-able?

Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom