Am I tying this knot correctly? Am I using the right line?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you have trouble with your knots not holding you can use a more elastic cord or bungee, they bite into each other so they hold better but need to be replaced every few months or years as they degrade over time.

Using inner tube is something I have to try, it just simplifies things so much.

I think I understand this, but can you take a picture?

I can try, but I'm pretty tech limited. I'll try to explain it better. Start by cutting a 3/8" or so band off of a bicycle inner tube. So you now have a homemade rubber band about 1-1.25" or so in diameter, and about 3/8" wide.

Looking closer, in my last post I already made a mistake. You attach the band to the boltsnap first, then the hose, this way:

1. Thread the rubber band through the loop in the boltsnap, then pull one end of the band through the other, pull it tight, and now it's locked on the boltsnap with a somewhat smaller loop of rubber band remaining.

2. Take that loop and stretch it around the hose, then push the boltsnap through the loop and pull that tight, locking the rubber band against the hose. Super simple, works great, and it stays put.

3. Cut a couple of spares to keep in your dive bag or pouch. A one-foot section of inner tube should be a lifetime supply unless you're a young 'un.

I can try, but I'm pretty tech limited. I'll try to explain it better. Start by cutting a 3/8" or so band off of a bicycle inner tube. So you now have a homemade rubber band about 1-1.25" or so in diameter, and about 3/8" wide.

Looking closer, in my last post I already made a mistake. You attach the band to the boltsnap first, then the hose, this way:

1. Thread the rubber band through the loop in the boltsnap, then pull one end of the band through the other, pull it tight, and now it's locked on the boltsnap with a somewhat smaller loop of rubber band remaining.

2. Take that loop and stretch it around the hose, then push the boltsnap through the loop and pull that tight, locking the rubber band against the hose. Super simple, works great, and it stays put.

3. Cut a couple of spares to keep in your dive bag or pouch. A one-foot section of inner tube should be a lifetime supply unless you're a young 'un.
Thanks. I think I've got it. I already use innertube around the webbing to hold the bottom of my lights in place.

As a non native speaker I recognize all the words here but couldn't picture how it all came together. :p

A picture would be highly appreciated. No rush. Thanks!

UPDATE:

this seems tight enough!

four threads through the loop.

square knots on both side.

finishing ends burnt to two big blob.

PXL_20210529_015616969.MP.jpg
PXL_20210529_015628419.MP.jpg

UPDATE:

this seems tight enough!

four threads through the loop.

square knots on both side.

finishing ends burnt to two big blob.

View attachment 661973 View attachment 661974

Way better. I am not sure if the burns are properly done though. The fire should melt (not a lot) the nylon, and the nylon should then solidify in a way such that it cannot break and the knot is stable.

Look at these:
How to tie the perfect bolt snap - Wreck and Cave
rectotec: HOW TO: TIE A BOLTSNAP

Once that the nylon starts firing and melting a bit, you can press on it with something rigid to get this effect.

Hope this was clear...

Back
Top Bottom