Am in Coz now, had my Dive Op cancel due to lack of bookings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You guys are right and thanks for the tips. Slander isnt the word, rather bad mouth or anything negative, didn't want to give that impression from any post.

We dove yesterday, will do so today and an adhoc was put together for the 14th. Have had offers, but having spent just a day with Tony on two great dives, I'm now very possesive ;-) and want to stick with him as long as possible.

Planned this trip for the last two months and didn't realize that my partner canceling would cancel my boat...had no idea we had the thing to ourselves.

Appreciate the advice gang...

R

When we went to Cozumel in June, there were only 40 people on our plane. I dove with Tony(great guy) all week. Two days there were 5 divers and the rest of the week there was only 3. He would pick me up beside the Dressel pier, so I won't have to pay there pier fee. The last day we (3 divers) dove the Devil's Throat and then up to dive the wreck by the cruise ship pier. Tony called and paid for a cab to take me back to the Iberostar. This was our first time to Cozumel and would definitely recommend Tony and will use him again when we return to Cozumel

Based on my first day with Tony and Carlos yesterday, I would double ++ that. He was open to spending surface interval wherever and we dove the Tormentos? on the first dive and a very nice wall dive for the 2nd one. Looking forward to more.

As to slowness, I'm at Fiestamerica and they have 10 rooms booked out of the 300 or so...so that's nothing but the economy talking...people with money aren't traveling as much and that impacts any economy driven by tourists. I also heard that those that do travel, don't spend as much...rightly so.

R

Having your dive charter cancel on you is disappointing. It's like saying you're not worth their time (and financially you probably aren't but this should be about more than money). That would be a deal breaker for me to ever use that op again.
FWIW, the op mentioned in the first of this thread didn't just cancel and toss his customer onto the street. I don't know of any op on Cozumel who would do that.

I dove on 8/24 and 8/26 with scubamau, Opal was great to work with and Gaby and Eddie were wonderful DM's. I'm going back in January and will use scubamau again.

Scuba Mau has always been excellent to / for me. I have dove with them a dozen or so dives. In fact, will be diving with them again in Oct and Dec. Couldn't ask for a better group of folks. I prefer to dive with Mona (Monkey).

:cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader:

FWIW, the op mentioned in the first of this thread didn't just cancel and toss his customer onto the street. I don't know of any op on Cozumel who would do that.

Gordon--I realize that he wasn't abandoned. I would still feel slighted, though.

Gordon--I realize that he wasn't abandoned. I would still feel slighted, though.
Things are tough all over. I think that it's great that some ops can afford to take the long view and run at a loss from time to time. I realize, though, that some may not be able to do that and may find it necessary to refer a single customer to another op. It's not a big deal to me; for me the dive's the thing and it doesn't make that much difference whose boat I am riding on as long as it is a similar operation. I might get upset if I were signed up for a small boat and got shuffled onto a cattle boat.

Sounds like the OP is having a great time diving with Tony.

Things are tough all over. I think that it's great that some ops can afford to take the long view and run at a loss from time to time. I realize, though, that some may not be able to do that and may find it necessary to refer a single customer to another op. It's not a big deal to me; for me the dive's the thing and it doesn't make that much difference whose boat I am riding on as long as it is a similar operation. I might get upset if I were signed up for a small boat and got shuffled onto a cattle boat.
Correct view, IMO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom