Amakusa Diving ~ November

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

quiet_diver

Reaction score
Myself and Kim and a friend went diving together this past Saturday. It's my second dive day in Japan - in about 8 years! Never had a connection or someone to dive with. I'm still rusty, so it was great to dive with Kim.

Apparently, there aren't many dive operations around Amakusa that have boats, so the boat diving was a real plus. If you want more details about the owner and shop, feel free to PM me. The area is close to Shimoda, on Amakusashima: it's right here (or close): http://tinyurl.com/angdr

The lionfish were gorgeous, as were the kurodai, a fairly large school, sheltering under a rock wisely keeping away from the fisher-folk. Fisher-people are dropped off in the morning, looking forlorn on the rocky outlying atolls (are they, technically, atolls?), to be picked up in the late afternoon--I heard that this 'tour' may cost more per-person than our dive boat (2 dives for 12,000Yen, weights and air incl. - the typical smaller Japanese steel tank size). We were diving in the China Sea, really about perfect weather for the lateness of the season, 22degC air and water temp. Maybe the diving was even better than some Okinawa dives, I heard that day. Perhaps the most exciting was our second boat dive, to a large wrecked ship that once hauled rocks. Lying at about 26m, it was teeming with so many fish around it sometimes you couldn't see anything - agi, russet-something fish, campachi, also lionfish, numerous others. The site isn't marked (there used to be an underwater buoy), but the Instructor/dive op owner knew its exact location - a neat trick. It was quite beautiful - both dives actually.

I haven't done any shore diving yet, though there are some good accessible sites. One small beach near where we launched from rents tanks (don't know the price there). There's a lot of tidal action, so it's important to study that and the currents - it was quite mild, for our dives, though returning on the open flat-bottomed skiff before lunch, our butts were liberally smashed by the wave chop. By 2pm when we went out again the sea was pretty calm. Mostly sunny blue sky too.

My last dive this season - glad to be diving again. :dance:

quiet_diver:
I heard that this 'tour' may cost more per-person than our dive boat (2 dives for 12,000Yen, weights and air incl. - the typical smaller Japanese steel tank size).

Maybe the diving was even better than some Okinawa dives, I heard that day. Perhaps the most exciting was our second boat dive, to a large wrecked ship that once hauled rocks. Lying at about 26m, it was teeming with so many fish around it sometimes you couldn't see anything - agi, russet-something fish, campachi, also lionfish, numerous others.

hi quiet_diver,
it sounds that you had very relaxing dives.

japanese diving operators typically use 10L steal or alminum tanks. too small for most Caucasians. there is a way to connect two single tanks to make an instant double rig on the diving spot (independent double tanks). you can be certified for that, too.

i was more interested by the wreck lying at -26m. what kind of a ship was it? could you penetrate it or just look around from outside? let us know more about it.

ken chung ar

Hey QD...
I'll be diving with Kim around December 27th. My family goes down to Okayama annually for the New year holiday. I'll be going the rest of the way down and we'll be diving somewhere (near Sasebo?).

Do you have a drysuit?

Jim

hi ken,

ken chung ar:
hi quiet_diver,
it sounds that you had very relaxing dives.
Refreshing,even!
japanese diving operators typically use 10L steal or alminum tanks. too small for most Caucasians. there is a way to connect two single tanks to make an instant double rig on the diving spot (independent double tanks). you can be certified for that, too.
Really? I didn't know that, about certification - and a good way to solve the smaller-tank problem, thanks (but then, double the cost for rentals...).
i was more interested by the wreck lying at -26m. what kind of a ship was it? could you penetrate it or just look around from outside? let us know more about it.
One of the other divers tells me he reached 28m. What I heard, the ship hauled rocks. It's in the middle of a channel, maybe only 1.5km out from an artificial beach. Could be as long as 20-25m, maybe. They say you can enter the wheelhouse, I couldn't quite see where. Plus, there was a fully adult moray extended towards us from a broken opening in the wheelhouse who seemed upset at our near presence. There used to be a buoy to moor on to, at 5m, but it's gone now. Our guide says he's planning to put up something on a chain, next season.

I missed this thread!

Amakusa was great, I really enjoyed it. QD has covered it really but I do have a couple more comments about the wreck. As our third diver is a relatively new diver and because of the limitations of 10lt tanks we didn't get the chance to do more than swim around the outside. That was already stunning though. I've never seen that many fish on a wreck before, probably because it doesn't get dove very often. There could well have been some points of entry for a penetration but we really didn't have the gear to do that. It was also difficult to tell in places as there were so many fish that it was hard to see the wreck. Talk about mucking up the vis! :D It's worth another look though but would require some proper planning to do properly.
Next time at least I'll take a camera and some big tanks.

For now I just enjoyed meeting QD and his friend and am looking forward to diving more with him in the future.

jagfish:
I look forward to checking out this site with you guys sometime.
It's a great site. It is a little far away though. It takes me about 2 hours to get from Kotake to Kumamoto, and then another 3 hours to get to Amakusa. The dive op does have a place to sleep available though - cheap (2 or 3 thousand yen, I can't remember exactly). Of course, in the summer, camping or chalets are also a possibility.

Hey Kim, jagfish,

Sorry for the delay in reply, I've been way busy at work. Sure, you all come on down! It would be great to cook up a plan to spend a bit more time on the wreck, maybe stay over night (or 2) in Amakusa, in a shared place. You know there's Ushibuka not far away, which has what I hear is one of the best sushi places anywhere - Aoi Sushi (or is that aoizushi?) I tried to go on the spur of the moment a couple years ago, but you need a reservation (at least in summer) due to popularity. I also know about a great local sushi place in Hondo, on the way back to Kumamoto - can't recall the name, but can find it.

There are some onsen nearby as well.

Fyi ~ jag, if you're flying from the Tokyo (or Kansai) area, Skynet Asia has ceheap flights into Kumamoto, Y10,000 each way, if you order the tix online 2 months to 6 weeks in advance (check that, it may have changed). I've flown to Tokyo twice this way. I can pick you up at the airport - man, the water is balmy in summer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom