Amazing how much lifesaving meds are overpriced in the US

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Again, torte reform is the way to get costs under control...

It becomes blatantly obvious when you see a commercial for medication that has a cya by saying, "don't take xxxxxx if you are allergic to any of it's ingredients". Why do they do that? Because someone got a huge bit of money over it.....

Reactions: BRT
I have been amazed at Medicare approved rates on medical procedures as well. Sure, there are physicians who do not accept Medicare, but there are plenty who do. Here's one example. This recent round with my Cardiology firm started with my other leg as a stent previously inserted had broken. I was examined at their office, then told to go to ER at the Heart hospital. Two nights and a procedure usually done at their clinic...

Total amount charged $94,510.09​

Medicare paid provider $13,016.49​

The remaining paid by supplement $1,506.00​

Leaving me to think that the other $80K was excessive, but all show as no one pays it.

And living in a "border community" to a country with government healthcare, the number of foreigners paying cash for health procedures to be done here is absolutely massive...
As well as plenty of Americans going to other countries for procedures. Some of those do backfire, some quack treatments, and the tourists who made the news recently.

A prescription in the UK is £9.35, if you have cancer or LT condition often free,If a child, pregnant or over 60 free.

NHS health care free.

The health care system is struggling a bit at the moment, but 13 years ago was the best and most cost efficient in the world and it will get better in 18 months time.

What’s amazing to me is not how much lifesaving drugs cost, but that:

—So many lifesaving drugs exist;

—So many people expect these drugs that will save, extend, or improve their lives to be available to them for a pittance.

—So many people resent the fact that the people who spent years developing effective treatments for their ailments might need some reasonable chance of making a profit to induce them to continue investing in research;

—So many people think their snarky comments about pharmaceutical profits make them morally superior to the people who dedicate their lives to developing lifesaving drugs;

—So few people who wonder why drug prices are lower in other places ever wonder why all those miracle drugs are not developed in those other places.

—So many people expect these drugs that will save, extend, or improve their lives to be available to them for a pittance.

—So many people resent the fact that the people who spent years developing effective treatments for their ailments might need some reasonable chance of making a profit to induce them to continue investing in research;

—So many people think their snarky comments about pharmaceutical profits make them morally superior to the people who dedicate their lives to developing lifesaving drugs;

—So few people who wonder why drug prices are lower in other places ever wonder why all those miracle drugs are not developed in those other places.

I don’t disagree with many of your points.

However when big pharma pulls the crap they did with the Epi-Pen, it’s hard to be on their side.

When Mylan bought the device from a competitor in 2007, the cost for a set of two auto-injectors was about $94. Today, the cost for an EpiPen kit (pair of two pens) is over $700.

As one who is allergic to bee/spider venom, I do find it appalling....

It isn't about the cost, but the fact that it has changed in value for no reason.....

See, you can't blanket statement any of this....

NHS health care free.

Nothing is ever free.... someone always has to pay the cost. I did part of my training in the NHS, I know.

The health care system is struggling a bit at the moment, but 13 years ago was the best and most cost efficient in the world and it will get better in 18 months time.

Struggling a bit is an understatement. Don't forget that 10+ year pay freeze, and the fact that in the 2 years I was there, there were multiple strikes by the junior doctors and others.

A significant portion of the doctors are also fleeing whatever other situation or conflict was going on in their home country, so are thus willing to work in suboptimal conditions because its better than what is going on in Syria for example.

So I should just buy stock in big pharma and shut up?

Dividends haven't been that great....

Anybody who thinks my prior post is an endorsement of any specific action undertaken by that bogey man "Big Pharma" either did not read the post accurately or places too much confidence in his or her ability to discern the content of thoughts I have not shared.

Anybody who suggests my prior post implied a suggestion on my part that the only alternative to economically illiterate whining about drug prices is to buy stock in pharmaceutical companies is being deliberately obtuse, possibly to discourage scrutiny of his prior posts.

For what it's worth, I have no idea how to fix our or anybody else's health care system.

Back
Top Bottom