Amber lighting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DESERT EEL

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask , but could using amber or other filters around my flashlight bring out better colors of the fish and coral ?

i hope you're not suggesting this versus a strobe? definitely get a strobe dude.

firstly the flashlight will most likely not be powerful enough of the right color temperature to light the subject properly anyway.

remember, photography is all about light and shadows. you want proper exposure, colors that "pop" and that wonderful look that a great underwater shot offers. need strobes for that. alternatively, if you really don't want to shoot with any strobes. try magic filters. but if you always shoot without a strobe you are limiting the number of scenarios/environments/depths that you can shoot in.

Or, like me... he is missing the sync cords needed to trigger his 2 strobes with his new DSLR setup.. And he is desperate...

Love the Manta avatar BTW...

Z...

i was just thinking - wouldn't wireless strobe connections be cool? but not sure how plausible that is. then again, if my dive computer can keep me safe wirelessly, my strobes should eventually be able to be triggered that way too.

Filtering the light won't work unless you are going to be 8" from the subject! Water does a great job of filtering out red! So you will lose all light at distance! Learn to use your White Balance and your pictures will improve much more than filtering your light!

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask , but could using amber or other filters around my flashlight bring out better colors of the fish and coral ?

Strictly speaking, yes. Adding an amber filter will bring certain colors out. Although the effect will be reduced significantly every inch you move the light source away from the subject. In addition, you never mentioned the type and power of your light source. If it’s a small, AA battery powered light, the effect will be diminished in few inches. If however, your flashlight is a monster 50W HID, you might be good for a few feet.

Adding additional light from different sources can be done very creatively and produce some very fine and interesting photographs. Experiment, have fun and let us see the results.:wink:

Thank you for all your responses. The light that I am using is a UK Light Cannon 100 HID. I'm not using it for photography just in general ( night \ wreck ) diving. Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom