Ambergris Caye dive operators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've dove with Ramon's twice. First in Oct 2006 when we got certified by Elbert Greer while he was still there and then in May 2007 (first dive again with Elbert then 9 more with other DM's). They were a good op. Small boats but they never took out more than 6 divers, always returned to Ramon's between dives. Had multiple boats and seemed to group divers together based on ability. I remember them going to pick up a diver once at VH. We saw other ops that chummed for nurse sharks, even grabbed onto the nurse sharks, Ramon's DM's were more environmentally minded.

Hea Diverrex,
I'm glad to see your still in the sport.
I started my own dive shop up the beach from Ramons a couple of years back drop in when you come back to the island.

Hea Diverrex,
I'm glad to see your still in the sport.
I started my own dive shop up the beach from Ramons a couple of years back drop in when you come back to the island.

Hi Elbert,

My wife and I are still diving, thanks to you for getting us started right with your great and patient instruction. You were particularly patient with my apprehensive wife. She still tells people about her first OW dive (first dive Ramons did after hurricane Wilma), as she followed you down the mooring line, in the bad viz for Belize, she screamed the whole way down. Thanks again for being so patient with her. I'm sure there are some other instructors you may have scared her off the sport.

Not sure you saw it but on page 3 of this thread, post #27, I posted two photos from our cert dives. The first is one you took of us at the surface right after we finished our fourth dive, the other is one of you and my wife about 50-60 foot down on the sandy bottom as you demonstrate mask clear to her. My wife still keeps those photos and a copy of her C card on her office wall.

We plan to get back to Belize someday, but there are so many dive spots to visit and only so much time and money. We will definately look you up when we get back there. It would be great to see you and dive together again. How far north of town is White Sands? Shorter commute for you - good for you!

There never seemed to be a consensus opinion on whether or not the BH was worth the time and money to dive.

My wife and I will be renting a house for a week on Ambergris Caye the third week of Feb. and I'm trying to decide if it's worth the trip.

Aqua Dives combines the BH with dives at Half Moon and Long Cayes and they both sound good.

What other dives would be considered "must do" ?

I know this is a little off-topic but shop recommendations seem to have run their course.

Aqua Dives combines the BH with dives at Half Moon and Long Cayes and they both sound good
So do most/all other operators. IMO the second on that day, off the SW corner of Half Moon Caye, is the best dive I've done in Belize. The last dive, off the NW corner of Long Caye, can also be superb in good conditions. There is often a honking current there, so you just tuck in your arms and legs and go with the flow.

I read your post about the Belize Legacy resort - I will be going there next week, my question the same as yours. Have you already gone? Did you like Suya Divers? or if you haven't been yet - any info you have found would help. All I know so far is that it looks like a nice place, but it is a little far north. Thanks.

We will visit this coming July for diving and sightseeing. Trip Advisor reviews suggest that the resort is excellent. A follow-up to my post (see p. 5 of this thread) stated that "They have been a general tour company for a number of years and started offering diving maybe a couple of years ago. I don't really know anything about them or their staff, but I'm sure they're fine.". Good luck and have a great trip. It would be great for you to post a trip report when you return.

A friend who contributes on another board was recently here diving, and staying at that resort. She dove with three operators, one being Suya. She said later that day that there was nothing wrong with them, but it was "diving by numbers" and she wouldn't use them again. Her chief observation on the resort was that it was a long way out and next time she'd choose somewhere closer to town.

From several sources, I have arrived at the same conclusions as your friend. We'll use the trip to explore Ambergris Caye, San Pedro, and check out as many dive operations as we can. Eveyone in Belize has been very helpful over the phone, so we are looking forward to our trip and Belize diving. We plan to stay a few extra days and try Placienda as well. Thanks for the information and follow-up.

Four of us dove with them in November. They picked us up at the house we rented and were great. We explained to them what our goals were and they facilitated all our diving. I highly recommend them!

Esmerelda for nurse sharks. Hol Chan Cut is a shallow dive but great at night with octopus, tons of rays, Sandy point has a great but long swimthrough with light beaming in part way through.

Back
Top Bottom