Ambon, Nusa Lembongan and Bali Trip Report Part 1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sharkbait98

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
AMBON, NUSA LEMBONGAN AND BALI
APRIL 2011

This was an amazing dive, adventure and critter trip.

FLIGHT

We left Buffalo via United to Chicago where we boarded Korean Air for the haul to Incheon. We went from Incheon to Bali via Korean Air. The flights were all on time and the connecters ran smoothly, however the food on Korean Air was not the worst I had ever had, but it certainly wasn't the best. The flight attendants were nice and the service was pretty good. The in-flight entertainment was good with a large selection of movies to choose from.

Upon arrival in Bali we had a seven hour layover until we could board our Lion Air flight to Ambon via Makassar. We basically hung around the airport until our check-in time came. We boarded Lion Air on time and off we went. The stewardess tried to tell us we had to check our carry-ons and we told her that they could not be put down there due to the value of the contents. She protested and my hubby informed her that if they would not fit in the overhead compartment then we would comply. Needless to say, they fit no problem. The funny thing was, a woman had a bigger bag than us was just allowed to come on with it, no questions asked. Bizarre. Lion Air needs to be brought up to speed as far as hygiene is concerned. Upon entering the bathroom we noticed that there was no toilet paper, soap or water. It was pretty disgusting. Even the seats had leftover food bits on them and we couldn't wait to get off of that plane. We will not be flying Lion Air ever again. If you do end up on Lion Air be sure to pack toilet paper and Purel in your carry-on.

AMBON

We stayed at Maluku Dive Resort ( www.divemaluku.com ) and it was FANTASTIC. I cannot think of anything that I would change about this resort. The people that work there are great, the food was great, the room was great, the dive operation was great, and the dive boats were great.

HOTEL

Our room was very spacious with a large bathroom and two laptop tables. The bed was two doubles wide and was extremely comfortable. The air conditioner worked great. One day it did start condensating allot and upon telling Marcel he had it repaired good as new by the time we got back from the morning dive. Outside of your burr there is a large porch area with two chairs and a table with waterfront view (which by the way was spectacular). There is an outdoor eating area that all the guests meet at (by the way, they only cater to 16 divers max and that keeps things really nice and personal) for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The food here was great. Breakfast was the usual fair of eggs, noodle soup, fried noodles, omelets, toast, and coffee and tea. You can get coffee, tea and water any time of the day and night. Lunch consisted of some homemade soup to start. The soups here were great. I don't eat soup at home but I had soup here with lunch and dinner. I just could not get enough of them. Lunch also came with some sort of meat (chicken, beef etc) and rice (or fries) and a veggie. Dinner was soup, a meat or fish and potatoes with veggie. On the days that fish was being served I was given an option. I don't eat fish and they were more than happy to make me an alternative. The day we arrived we had a BBQ and the food was awesome. Chicken, beef, tuna, and some sort of big shrimp seared to perfection. Back to the hotel, when you walk through the eating area around the corner is a large outdoor seating area with two large ceiling fans. There is a small library so be sure to pack a book to leave. Walking past that area is the camera/reg rinse tanks and behind them is the secured gear storage area. Within this area there are two barrels. One for rinsing BCDs and masks and one for wetsuits etc. Beyond this area are the steps leading down to the dive boat. This is a very well laid out resort and one of the best dive resorts I have ever been to.

STAFF

When I first found out about Maluku Dive Resort I emailed for a quote for my group. Andy is the gentleman that responds to the emails. He was so helpful in making this holiday happen. I emailed him so many times it was insane. He answered ALL my questions and was never short with me or made me feel like any question was unimportant. All his emails came back in a timely manner and all the information provided was accurate. I asked him to book my Lion Air flight as Lion Air won't let you purchase unless you have an Indonesian credit card. He booked exactly what I asked him to and billed me with my final payment. Talk about giving you the full service package. The only thing that was a bit of a drag was that when we arrived we had to fill out paperwork in order to go diving that day. I suggested that they put this online in a PDF file that one can download at home and fill in ahead of time and Andy said he is going to try to get that up and running on the website.

At the resort there is a gentleman named Marcel. He would be the equivalent to the hotel manager. He was very personable and informative. When I asked any question, no matter how small or trivial, he would answer or find the answer out for me. When I asked for extra pillows, poof, extra pillows in our room. Even when I asked for extra chairs for our friends to come sit on our porch he was more than happy to oblige. After the first dive my husbands BCD inflator crapped out and Marcel dug him up one to borrow for the time we were there. Way to save the day. We did end up purchasing it for a more than fair price. Marcel keeps everything running smooth and makes the guests feel really welcome. He definitely adds to the resorts ambiance.

The chef they have is great. He knows how to cook that is for sure. The people that wait on you, Hoffas and Dion were always at the ready to clear your plates and bring you water. Hoffas is the king of the village that the fresh water eels are, more on that later. The ladies that cleaned our room were very good. When we would come back for lunch the bed was always made nicely and the bathroom cleaned. They would change your sheets and towels everyday but we did ask that our sheets and towels only get changed once every four days as we are trying to help with the environment and they were more than happy to oblige. Once again I will say that the staff here helped make this a magnificent vacation.

DIVE BOATS / CREW

We did three boat dives per day with unlimited shore diving. When you did your shore diving the staff would have your BCD and tank all ready for you to simply don and walk into the water. What a great way to start a vacation. Now for the dive boats. They were awesome. Ours had a large canopy and proper tank holes to securely hold your gear while suiting up. The ladders were very well done with proper flat steps for your feet. You would back roll in and when returning from your dive you would simply take off your fins and BCD and hand them up. They would haul the gear up and change your tank for you. I felt bad for the guys because we were weight integrated but they pulled them up with a smile. The dive masters were great. For most of our stay we had Samuel and Stoner. These guys have eagle eyes. I mean they would show me an area and I would look. I see nothing. Then they would gently put the poker down and there would rise out of the sand a mimic octopus. I never laughed so much underwater than I did on this trip. So here is the short list, we saw mimic, coconut, wonderpuss, and longarm octopus, ambon scorpionfish, rhinopias, giant frogfish, warty frogfish, pygmy frogfish, harlequin shrimp, ghost pipe fish, leafy scorpion fish, cuttle and pygmy cuttlefish, waspfish, two spot lionfish, nudies, false stonefish, nemo, dori, butterflys off all kinds, anemone fish, all kinds of angels and triggers, all kinds of crabs, basking stars, I could go on and on. The diving here is so spectacular. You have muck and reef. Its amazing. In order for you to understand that I have something to relate the diving to here is the short list. I have been to Lembeh, Wakatobi, Bunaken, Philippines, Sipidan to name a few, but this place was magical. Every dive was a new adventure of discovery. The other good thing about the dive staff is that once they see that your an experienced diver they let you dive your profile, providing you have a computer and did not deco dive, so diving freedom was given. On our day before we left the guys hung all our stuff out in the sun to ensure it would be as dry as possible for our flight out of Ambon.

A special thank you goes out to Samuel and Stoner for making this trip a great experience!

DAY TRIP

I asked Hoffas if he could get us some scooters to rent for the day before we flew out and if he would take us to his village to go see the freshwater eels. Next day he had gotten us two scooters (we were a group of four) and said that he would be glad to take us. We left at 9 AM and off we went. On the trip to his village he would stop at certain places so we could get some beautiful pictures of Ambon and the villages. The villages here are very clean and full of pride. One village would be all Christian and the neighboring village would be Muslim. They live in respect of each other. Something the rest of the world could learn. At one point when we stopped this little old lady came up to check us out. She was so curious about us. I don't think they see white people on scooters ever. When we arrived at Hoffas's village we walked down to where the fresh water eels are. He chummed the water and up the stream they came. It was bizarre. You could pet these things. They basically look like a catfish head with an eels body. Hoffas fed them for about 20-30 minutes and it was so cool to see the children playing with them. Upon leaving this area there is a tip box where you can put in a couple of dollars for the village. Hoffas then took us up to a place called sail rock. Another beautiful vista. We then drove back to the hotel where we tipped Hoffas who reluctantly took a small tip.

I just want to say at this point that this resort/dive op runs exceptionally well. Its hard to believe that you are in such a remote part of the world. I suggest that you go and see for yourself. You will not be disappointed.

Special note of thanks to Andy and Marcel. Your patients and hard work made this a wondrous time for my group. Good Job!!

Our flight back to Bali was as disgusting as on the way there, but we made all of our connectors and got to Bali on time. The only issue with the flight was that on the way back our e-tickets stated that we would be flying Ambon to Surabaya, Surabaya to Bali. Well apparently they stop in Makassar on the way which is ok but we did not know and got all freaked out, but in the end it all worked out. Even our luggage made it ok.

Part 2

BALI TRANSFER

I had arranged for Rocky Fast Ferry to pick me up at the airport in Bali. When we arrived they were nowhere to be found BUT Lion Air had changed our flight number and the driver had gone over to International to see if we were there. A gentleman called Rockys for me and the driver came right over to us and took us to the ferry. They loaded our luggage and gave us water when we boarded the boat. The ferry over to Nusa Lembongan was fast. It took us about 35 minutes to get across. When we got off the boat Rockys then transferred us to World Diving.

NUSA LEMBONGAN

World Diving ( World Diving Lembongan Home ) is a dive operation on Nusa. The owners are Sue and John. They were a great help on the email prior to us going on this vacation. They answered all my questions and helped with local information upon arrival. We stayed at Pondok Baruna.

HOTEL

Our hotel was basic. A small bathroom, a double bed and a table with a stool. No air conditioning but there was a fan and that is all we needed. In fact we actually had to turn it off as we were cold the one night. There was a large shelving area where you could put all your clothes. The room had a porch with a view of the water and a couple of chairs and a table. There was also a lounger you could use if you so desired. The hotel was not fancy but kept clean and the staff always made sure your room was swept free of sand. We ate breakfast/lunch at the hotels restaurant behind the rooms. It was a small seating area that opened up to the pool area. The pool was very clean and great after diving. The food at breakfast was your usual fair. At lunch you could get a burger (which was awesome) and fries etc. We ate dinner at the larger restaurant that was about a 2 minute walk from the room. They had good food there and the spring rolls were out of this world!! The service was great and the staff was always ready to help if you had any questions.

DIVING

Basically they only do two tank boat dives per day. This is due to the tides. The dive staff was great. We were lucky to already know one of the dive masters as we meet her in Indonesia at Two Fish Divers. Her name is Sarah and she's great. She gave us the do's and don’ts upon arrival and really added to our trip. Wayan was our dive master on most of our dives (Sarah was doing classes and open water certifications) and he was great. He was never all over us and let us dive our profile providing we had computers. The boat was great. It was a big boat with an outrigger on each side. It had an upper deck for sun tanning and a private toilet :eek:). The ladder steps were close together which made it so easy to climb up on that I actually was able to bring my gear up with me. Now for the diving. This diving has current. Some dives it was just ripping, other dives not so bad. We did see a demon stinger, nudies, stonefish, clownfish, butterflys of all kinds, and angels of all kinds, bamboo shark, football fields of hard coral and last, but not least, MANTAS!!!! They hung around for a long time and it was fantastic!!! On our last day diving we dropped in and one big manta just hovered at a cleaning station three feet away from me. I just hung there in awe. What a magnificent creature. On our last day of diving Sarah had put together a clean-up dive on the house reef. We were more than ready and willing. We did the dive and picked up allot of discarded materials that people had dumped underwater. It was a free dive and I give kudos’ to World Dive for having this program installed into their dive operation.

DAY TRIP

On our last afternoon on Nusa we decided to rent a scooter and tour the island. All you have to do is ask the waiter at the breakfast restaurant and he will set it up for you. We had met a woman named Christine from Australia (born in Canada like us) and we taught her how to drive a scooter. So at 2PM off we went. We drove to the mangroves and stopped at a couple of temples that were amazing. The artistic nature of these temples was fantastic. We then decided to head to the other side of the island and go to Dream Beach. If you get there make sure you take a bathing suit as it looked like fun to be playing in the crashing waves. Its a sand beach with a spectacular view. We then proceeded to go to a restaurant called Scallywags. Its not called this anymore but it has a great reputation for great food and great scenery. With some stopping for directions we found it. The food was awesome and the view matched. We then drove back to the restaurant, had a great meal and handed in the scooters. What a perfect way to end this leg of our vacation.

Once again I would like to thank Sarah, John and Sue for making this part of my vacation spectacular. I wish all my diving adventures involved great people like this. Keep up the good work!!

Once again Rocky Fast Ferry picked us up on time and transferred us from World Dive to the ferry. On the ferry they gave us water again. The ferry ride was uneventful but very comfortable. When we landed they transferred us to Green Garden Resort in Kuta.

BALI

We stayed at Green Garden Hotel ( Green Garden Hotel Bali - Bali Hotel Kuta - Bali Cheap Hotel ) in Kuta and it was a great hotel. We were in a standard room. It had a queen bed, desk, and a futon type seating area. We had a balcony that had two chairs and a table. Our room overlooked the beautiful pool area. The air conditioning worked great and our room was well cleaned everyday. The pool area had a waterfall and greenery everywhere. The restaurant would serve you at the pool area too if you wanted to stay in the sun. The staff here was amazing and courteous. They were always ready to help if you had a question and always had a smile on their face. A little FYI , there is a 24hr mini mart next door to the right and a grocery store next door to the left, and beside the grocery store is a good money changer.

We arrived in Kuta on Tuesday and decided to get our gear hanging in our room as it was not perfectly dry, so we decided to just chill out at the hotel. Wednesday we decided to just bum around Kuta and check out the beach. The beach there is awesome. I can see why people flock to it. Well, after walking around in the blazing heat I got dehydrated and had to return to the room for a 3hr laydown. I felt ok after I rehydrated and we ended up going out for chicken wings that night at the back of the Discovery Mall ( Discovery Shopping Mall ) at the New York Sports Bar ( Home New York Sports Bar & Diner ) and managed to scarf down some wings. $12 for 50 wings. Can't go wrong with that. It was nice to get some home munchy food at this stage of the vacation.

On Thursday we hooked up with Christine again as she was staying just down the road from us after leaving Nusa. We rented a car with a driver for a whopping $26 US for 10HRS and $5 for gas for ALL DAY. We rented from Bali Car Rental ( Bali Car Rental in Bali Island Vacation - Bali Car Hire ) and Arif was very helpful and easy to deal with. In fact, he didn't even require a deposit and full payment was made after our two days of rental. Our driver was Ilet and he was on time, respectful and a very safe driver. We told him we wanted to go see some temples, some villages, and some rice terraces. He arrived at Green Garden at 9AM sharp and off we went. The first temple we went to was very old and we had to get sarongs (about $1 US) before they would let you in. It was a neat place. I don't remember the name of it but it was beautiful and very artistic. Ilet then drove us to a water temple. It too was impressive. The children were doing their prayers in the water and then dunking their heads in the water. They believe there are healing properties in this water. After that we went to a volcano where you could have lunch overlooking the volcano. The restaurant was buffet of Indonesian food, not my thing. I asked to see an ala carte menu and the waitress was very pushy about the buffet. She then started bothering us with how long the ala carte was going to take and then she started to nickel and dime me to death with add-ons. I had enough and walked out. Christine stayed and had lunch as she likes Indo food. We walked down the road and met a wonderful woman named Sari running a food stand where we talked and mingled with the locals. It was very peaceful talking to Sari and looking at the volcano. Be warned, when you come out of the restaurant you are bombarded with street vendors trying to sell their wares. It can be a little overwhelming.

After lunch we drove back to Kuta and had our driver drop us off at Poppies Lane 1 where we found the restaurant called The Treehouse. Best pizza I have ever had. My hubby got an eight ounce Australian t-bone steak for $4. Great servers, great food, and great people watching. We walked back to the hotel said our goodbyes to Christine and hit the sack. Tomorrow we leave Bali.

On Friday we checked out of the hotel at 12:00 PM and our driver was on time again. We had him till 10:00 PM as we did not have to be at the airport until 10:30 for check-in. We had him drive up to Ubud Market where I purchased a bamboo hand carved rain stick for $5 US. We went to the rice terraces and the sun was in the perfect spot for that great shot. We then drove to a temple that was built on a rock outcrop in the water. What a busy place, but what a magnificent place. The waves crashing in, the temple outlined with the sun sinking behind it. It was really neat. We then drove to Kuta and had our driver sit with the car (watching our luggage that contained all our dive gear and passports etc) while we went and got a massage ( we went to the Mango Spa as it was clean and the women gave great massages ) just past Green Garden. When you leave the hotel go right and it is up on the left and side about a 1 minute walk. We then walked back down to The Treehouse where I got a pizza and my hubby got pasta. Food was quick and good. We went back to the car at 10ish and the drive took us to the airport. We made final payment for the car and gave our driver a large tip. He was so appreciative of the tip.

FLIGHT

We got through immigration and security with a little time to spare and boarded Korean Air to Incheon. Food was ok again but the staff this time was not so courteous. Transfer in Incheon was uneventful and then we got on the long haul to Chicago. This was not a pleasant ordeal. The staff was not very attentive and they ran out of beef dinners when they got to me. The option was beef or octopus, yuck ! They tried to rummage something together but in the end I ended up sharing my buns with hubby and he shared his beef with me. Next time I will pre-order vegetarian and avoid the whole issue. We got to Chicago on time and went United to Buffalo with no surprises.

Thanks to all the staff, owners, and clients that made this trip memorable and I hope to return some day, sooner rather than later.

Sharkbait

Great Ambon report, I am a big fan of this place and I like to read about it!!! Do you have photos uploaded somewhere on a web gallery?

You have so much chance to spot the mimic octopus and the Rhinopias. At the time I was there (3 months ago, check my report on this board), they were probably somewhere deep we couldn't find them.
I didn't dive with Maluku Divers but with Blue Rose, hence I had their senior dive guide only for myself.
Did you dive the southern Ambon coast coral sites too? Kota Pintu or Hukurila : these sites are AMAZING, I couldn't believe I was diving so pristine coral walls and seafan reefscape close to such a hardcore muck area.
Which place did you see pygmy seahorse btw?

Haaa.. LionAir :D... it's not on the cleanliness side that I have some problems with them (I remember flying American Airlines from Paris to Miami, my seat wasn't cleaned from a big icecream spillt by the passenger before me :shocked2:, neither was the front seat pocket which was full of empty peanut packets )...
I'm currently struggling with LionAir to get a refund on a booking I paid on the Internet and I cancelled, but now they want to see me in Indonesia to refund my card.... sounds to me like they're hijacking my money... :no:
I am now trying to fly either Batavia, Garuda or Airasia.com whenever I can in Indonesia.

Wow!! Let me begin by saying what an amazing and detailed report! Thank you so much! We too loved Maluku Divers Resort. I ditto everything you said! Andy is great with answering questions, Marcel is excellent at his job, food was great, :) Lili is amazing and Samwell is the BEST!!!!!!!! He is one of my all time favorite dive guides!!!!!!!!!! Did you like his mimic octopus finding poker??? Great place!!

On our last trip to Indonesia we flew Express Air from Manado to Sorong. I am going to try to attach a couple of pics of the seats! It was a miracle that we made it in one piece! They also charged us an arm and a leg in overweight fees! No breaks whatsoever! We flew Lion Air about 4x and we have never paid overweight on them ever! They are better in my book then Express if you can believe that!

Thanks again for the excellent report!

Attachments

• DSC00767.jpg
    DSC00767.jpg
    398.5 KB · Views: 192
  • DSC00773.jpg
    DSC00773.jpg
    404.9 KB · Views: 188
Thanks so much for taking the time to write such a detailed report. It's people like you that make SB so great.

Ambon is definitely on the to do list. And I'm super keen to hang out on Nusa Lembongan for a little while too. There are a few great surf spots right out front that I'm keen surf.
There aren't to many places where you can go for an early morning surf followed by a day of diving!

Great report guys,

Its great to see you so happy with your trip out here to Indonesia, hopefully it will make you want to return as you said very soon! Did you get a chance to take many photos in your time in Ambon?

Thanks for the trip report. Since you have been diving to many world class dive spots already, do you think the extra hassle of getting to Ambon is worth it? Your report makes me want to book a trip to Maluku dive resort asap. Did you research the place with other scubaboard reports before you chose the resort? What was the main reason you thought so highly of this destination compared to the other places you have been to?

I haven't even finished my pics from Micronesia yet LOL... I will see what I can pick out and post .. LOL.. I really got to get some time to do my pics....

Sharkbait

Great Ambon report, I am a big fan of this place and I like to read about it!!! Do you have photos uploaded somewhere on a web gallery?

You have so much chance to spot the mimic octopus and the Rhinopias. At the time I was there (3 months ago, check my report on this board), they were probably somewhere deep we couldn't find them.
I didn't dive with Maluku Divers but with Blue Rose, hence I had their senior dive guide only for myself.
Did you dive the southern Ambon coast coral sites too? Kota Pintu or Hukurila : these sites are AMAZING, I couldn't believe I was diving so pristine coral walls and seafan reefscape close to such a hardcore muck area.
Which place did you see pygmy seahorse btw?

Haaa.. LionAir :D... it's not on the cleanliness side that I have some problems with them (I remember flying American Airlines from Paris to Miami, my seat wasn't cleaned from a big icecream spillt by the passenger before me :shocked2:, neither was the front seat pocket which was full of empty peanut packets )...
I'm currently struggling with LionAir to get a refund on a booking I paid on the Internet and I cancelled, but now they want to see me in Indonesia to refund my card.... sounds to me like they're hijacking my money... :no:
I am now trying to fly either Batavia, Garuda or Airasia.com whenever I can in Indonesia.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom