American Airline Sale from EWR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lucky you! CLT prices are well over $650!

Looked at DFW prices, and, no surprise, you can find fares as low as $445 RT, but ONLY on days that Sun Country also flies into Cozumel, and these fares end as soon as Sun Country stops its seasonal DFW-CZM schedule in August. Then it's back up to $665 RT. Competition matters.

Newark, eh? I had to look that one up :wink:

A while back I searched for flights on TripAdvisor and it paid off in March. They sent me an offer for $335 RT with many choices of dates from SAN (San Diego) to KOA (Kona). It took a while before I got such a great offer but I thought it was worthwhile to sign up for it and read the emails as they came. Last week it was $385 and I almost went again. To sign up I don't remember the exact process but I think it was a combination of doing a search for a particular destination from a particular airport plus giving them my email.

One way or RT?

I will never understand how airfare pricing works. In Feb. I flew RT from DFW for $285. In April it was the same but to Cancun, at the time to fly to Cozumel was +$600. I had checked on a flight from Houston to CZM then back to DFW because I was in Houston for meetings and it was $330. The thing was The flight was from Houston to DFW, 5 hour layover then the same flight that was $600 + to CZM and back. A month are so ago I saw a flight for $236 from DFW to CZM RT. The date didn't work for me. Looked again the next day and it was back to $600+. I check Matrix ITA every so often and when I fine a good price I jump on it.

One way or RT?

If you are asking me that was RT on all flights that I mentioned.

The thing was The flight was from Houston to DFW, 5 hour layover then the same flight that was $600 + to CZM and back. .

Yea, they do do that. :wink: When I went to Kona we had to board in San Diego which is only a little further from me than LAX and a much easier drive. We had a 1 1/2 hour layover but that gave us a chance to eat some breakfast.To get on the same flight in Los Angeles it could cost a lot more. I once found a flight to Bonaire from LA for $300 RT! The problem was that the entire trip was around 32 hours, not including getting to the first airport 2 hours early. I'm getting better at it but If I have to change planes sometimes it takes me 1 1/2 hours just to find the right gate (at some airports, anyway). KOA is so small you can't get lost and they still roll the stairways up to the planes.

I will never understand how airfare pricing works.
You just have to let go of the notion that the fare has any dependence on the distance flown. It's all about markets and competition.

We usually fly United (I really miss Continental!) from Austin to Cozumel through Houston. You might think that I could save money by driving to Houston and catching the flight from HOU to CZM, but you'd be wrong, at least the times I have checked. The last time I ran that scenario the tix were $75 more for HOU-CZM than for AUS-HOU-CZM even though the HOU-CZM leg is the same flight.

A few years ago I was whining on Scubaboard about the high air fare I was seeing to Cozumel from Austin, and someone remarked that the fare they were seeing from Toronto on the same airline and the same travel days was lower - a LOT lower. I ran a few scenarios just for grins and I found that I could fly from Austin to Cozumel by way of Toronto for virtually the same price as for AUS-HOU-CZM. Once again the HOU-CZM leg was the same flight.

Last edited:
Just picked up 4th to 9th April 2017 for $293.
Of course, you have no idea what the actual flights will be by then. Nice fare tho. I generally pay more from Lubbock than others from larger cities, but I was happy to find $371 for late August tonight. The airline doesn't get all that much on the ticket, $131 going to excessive taxes & fees, but they'll make their money off my luggage fees - then punish me with over a 5 hour layover in Houston! :rant:

Back
Top Bottom