American tourist dies while diving Cozumel caves.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The smoker example makes sense because even though the COHb levels in the blood of a smoker are small (<9%) the CO pool in blood is large while the circuit has relatively small volume. CO leaves the blood into the lungs and enters the loop and eventually a steady state will be reached where equal number of CO molecules leave the lungs as are taken up. The concentration of CO in the circuit at this point may be large. He mentions that concentrations as high as 810 ppm have been recorded. Once a steady state is reached the CO is trapped in the loop until diluent or O2 is added.

If the diluent should contain CO it will be trapped in the loop, that which is taken up will be replaced by more contaminated diluent.

Also remember that CO is eliminated by the lungs at a rate dependent on the partial pressure of oxygen. If a diver has a smoke on the shore and loads his blood with 9 percent COHb then five hours later his blood concentration will be 4.5 percent assuming he doesn't have another smoke.

If however he puts on a mask delivering 100 percent oxygen a concentration of 4.5 percent COHb will be reached in only 60 to 90 minutes. Throw him in the chamber and that elimination half life can be reduced further.

So in effect once the rebreather is strapped on with a set point say of 1.0 the diver is driving more CO off the hemoglobin and back into the loop such that the affinity is no longer 200:1 as it was on the surface.

As Laura mentioned one can tolerate a higher COHb underwater because oxygen is dissolved into the blood plasma which compensates for the lost carrying capacity due to CO bound to the four O2 binding sites on the hemoglobin molecule.

I recall that on one of the CO fatality/injury threads a while back a board member who is an anesthesiologist showed that even at deep recreational depths and with a high COHb concentration which might be fatal on the surface there would be enough dissolved oxygen in the plasma alone to sustain brain and bodily functions if resting.

The problem is that upon surfacing the partial pressure of oxygen drops lowering the dissolved oxygen plasma concentration however the CO molecule still remains bound to the hemoglobin preventing O2 transport to the tissues. The diver may have been functioning ok at depth but with the loss of plasma O2 he may lose consciousness upon surfacing if the COHb concentration has become high enough over the dive.

The Maldives CO incident was a classic case of this with the divers ok until they surfaced at which time mulitiple divers lost consciousness and one died. There were many divers who said they were fine at 80 feet but as soon as they hit approximately 30 feet they experienced the sudden onset of anxiety and shortness of breath which only worsened further as they surfaced and the dissolved plasma oxygen concentration fell to ambient air concentrations. Some recovered consciousness on ambient air alone as the oxygen system on the boat was not working but one unfortunate diver expired.

He likely had a higher concentration of CO in his tank, may have traveled to a greater depth, or may have had a higher level of exertion all of which would increase his COHb concentration further over the duration of the dive.

http://coheadquarters.com/coremove1.htm
http://coheadquarters.com/figco06.htm

It is a joy when you get to read the straight dope. Thanks.

Given the fact that this topic has been debated in other threads I am going to request out of respect for the diver, family, friends, and dive team involved that anyone who post here adhere to the rules of this forum. Feel free to continue to discuss and debate in a respectful manner and thank you to the professionals who have contributed to this thread.

I love the caves in Cancun. The Sonotes are pretty well mapped. But, if you digress of into some of the ancillary caverns, I could see how one would get into trouble. I'd like to know who his companions were, was he on tanks or a rebreather, etc. Too bad nobody publishes this stuff. It would help us all to know where the pitfalls are in our dive plans.

I love the caves in Cancun. The Sonotes are pretty well mapped. But, if you digress of into some of the ancillary caverns, I could see how one would get into trouble. I'd like to know who his companions were, was he on tanks or a rebreather, etc. Too bad nobody publishes this stuff. It would help us all to know where the pitfalls are in our dive plans.

Do you mean the cenote in Cozumel or around Playa? I haven't heard much about cenotes in Cancun.
If people are diving within their training the chances of getting in trouble are slim.
With regard to this incident, a whole lot of information has been made available by those who were on the team.
Did you not read the thread(s) before posting?

I couldn't agree more! It's nice to see DAN being proactive (no intent, by this comment, in stating that they are not proactive anyway). A big :thumb: to DAN.
DAN has been proactive in many other areas, and I've long been a big supporter of the membership corporation, but is actually the first time they have taken any action in this need that I know of.

True, but it's a black mark on the dive operators that they can't get them without having the analyzers donated. They're not that expensive and it's their responsibility to make sure the gas they pump is safe.
Yeah, it is, and they are not that expensive over their life of filling thousands of tanks - a couple pennies per tank maybe, but they wouldn't do it? I know what it took to get the first one on Coz as I was kinda in on that, and the big fill station really didn't like the idea. So I'm really wondering how this action came to be, and why just Coz? Maybe it's some sort of springboard but DAN can't go around the world donating $1,000 units to all. :idk: I do hope they have a bigger plan in mind.

The down side will be that fewer divers will buy personal CO testers and check, but I will keep testing every tank less I fall for a false feeling of security.

Of course, being donated does not mean they will be used . . . . Some of these will likely either end up in the box in the corner; or be sold outright for the cash; or not maintained, and die in service I would bet . . . And I'd love to be wrong!

I think I'll still keep the CO analyzer I just bought to be certain . . . my take is that if I don't see my tank being tested, I'm going to treat it as if it has not been! Just too much risk otherwise, IMHO . . .

- Tim

Back
Top Bottom