American tourist dies while diving Cozumel caves.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So is there a way to tell the difference between a bad tank fill and say a catastrophic equipment failure or bad set up?
Analyze the gas in the tank, check the victim's blood for CarboxyHemoglobin.

Not to raise the level of speculation, my first thought, it being and SCCR, was: "what was he using for diluent?" When I heard that he was carrying both a tank of EAN and a tank of air ... well I really want to know, definitively, which tank was set up to supply his diluent.

It's rare that we see the results of gas testing from CO accidents. The Roatan CCV accident news was so suppressed and deleted from SB that it's almost impossible get info. We did get some from the Maldives fatality, but none from CO injuries on Cozumel in recent years. Ability to test and willingness to release info both seem very lacking. What little we get is usually diver reports but few are able to test or even secure the tanks.

No one really wants to spend $300 on a portable CO Analyzer but when you don't, you very seldom know for sure - before or after. So, most near misses, non-hospitalizing hits, and CO related drownings go unknown. DAN and the agencies give some lip service but not much.

Diver personal responsibility for the dives includes taking responsibility for the gas - not trusted sources.

Don, I know that it is one of your crusades, and a good one too, but the idea that only a single tank was contaminated kinda sticks in my craw.

There is a big difference between CO and CO2. The body is set up to detect and measure CO2, and desperately wants to keep it within a narrow, prescribed range. When a scrubber fails, the diver will become anxious and breathe rapidly, and become confused and agitated. Although he may not recognize the symptoms, the body is reacting violently to the elevated CO2, until it becomes sufficiently narcotic to be numbing.

CO, on the other hand, is something the body has no way of detecting. CO displaces oxygen on the hemoglobin molecule, efficiently and tenaciously. It also poisons metabolic pathways within the cell. But until things are far along, the symptoms are very nonspecific. The diver might have a headache or be nauseated, or just confused, until he eventually loses consciousness. In this case, it seems from the story that the diver DID decide something was wrong with his breathing gas, but by the time he did so, it was too late (or the bailout was equally bad). Results of gas testing from the tanks should be very enlightening.

Don't the actions of the victim seem more like elevated CO2 than CO? For example:
-the rapid progression into the cave to the point of splitting the group of 5 into one leading quickly, 2 who couldn't quite keep up and the other 2 completely falling behind seems that could be anxious and agitated rather than his normal behaviour
-the awareness of something wrong and the ability/time to take action
-the rapid onset at a shallow depth

Coupled with the way the rb may have been set up, does it seem like it could be CO2 rather than CO?

Absolutely get personal CO monitors if desired, but in this case is it really the official COD? I hope the tanks are analyzed and the results made public.

Don, I know that it is one of your crusades, and a good one too, but the idea that only a single tank was contaminated kinda sticks in my craw.

It is actually quite common and likely it was the only tank that had a concentration which was high enough to cause symptoms at that depth, pressure, and time, but if one actually checked the entire run of tanks before and after the suspect tank you would find lower concentrations that may have only resulted in sub-clinical or no symptoms.

At the Montreal fire service in the 1990's the firefighters were complaining of decreased exercise tolerance and early fatigue. A young toxicologist researcher was called in who looked at the constellation of symptoms and decided to test a few scba tanks for CO and sure enough the first ones at one station had levels in the range of 0 to 30 ppm. The testing was expanded to other stations and tanks were found with concentrations as high as 250 ppm. These were young healthy firefighters so a tank at 1 atmosphere with only 10 ppm would not cause problems but those with CO concentrations in the 50 ppm to 250 ppm range were the ones causing early exertional fatigue. It was not until about 70 tanks were tested that the full range of contamination was identified with concentrations from 0 to 250 ppm CO. I seem to recall about 50 tanks had some level of CO contamination out of several hundred.

The suspect "electric" compressor was identified and a CO monitor was installed to measure CO concentrations in real time. For the first three hours under load there was no CO produced but at the 3 hour mark under full load the compressor would start to produce CO. This is the problem with any sort of air testing in that it is rarely done at full load and under worst case scenario conditions. A single grab sample after starting the compressor under no load will not detect the contamination. There were multiple factors identified which lead to the CO production which included:
1. poor quality mineral oil with low autoignition point
2. poor compressor install with inadequate ventilation which lead to overheating
3. narrow remote intake which create sub-atmosperic pressure at the intake and compressor overheating
4. excessive moisture in the compressed air which prevented Hopcalite from converting the CO to CO2.

Most of this is detailed in this paper:
Carbon monoxide and water vapor con... [J Toxicol Environ Health. 1997] - PubMed - NCBI

There was another CO incident described in Dive Training magazine a few years back where only two tanks were affected. The first diver was much more symptomatic as he had breathed his tank down to 500 psi the day before while the second affected diver still had half a tank before the compressor burned the lube oil. The concentration of CO in the first diver's tank would have been much higher. The rest of the divers whose tanks were filled earlier in the run were not checked, however they did not show any symptoms of CO poisoning and these asymptomatic diver tanks may have had no CO or only low concentrations.

The article states that the tank was sent to the lab and upon speaking with the author the incident tank did show high levels of carbon monoxide. The compressor was examined and the 4th stage piston had seized up.

Please note that this diver was resting on the bottom at only 20 feet for a short period of time before he began to experience symptoms.
August 2008 Volume 18 Number 8

In these sorts of CO contamination incidents until one actually measures the CO concentration in the the other tanks it is not possible to say only one tank is affected.

Last edited:
Don't the actions of the victim seem more like elevated CO2 than CO? For example:
-the rapid progression into the cave to the point of splitting the group of 5 into one leading quickly, 2 who couldn't quite keep up and the other 2 completely falling behind seems that could be anxious and agitated rather than his normal behaviour
-the awareness of something wrong and the ability/time to take action
-the rapid onset at a shallow depth

Coupled with the way the rb may have been set up, does it seem like it could be CO2 rather than CO?

Absolutely get personal CO monitors if desired, but in this case is it really the official COD? I hope the tanks are analyzed and the results made public.

Re-read the report. There was not a rapid progression into the cave. The increased pace began about 15 minutes into the dive.

Intoxicación por monóxido de carbono

El médico forense de la Procuraduría de Justicia del Estado (PGJE), Juan Carlos Góngora Aké, dijo que las causas de la muerte del turista Brendan Nappier, de 35 años de edad, ingeniero electricista, originario de San Louis, Missouri, fue por sofocación e intoxicación por monóxido de carbono, esto provocó que su piel presentara un color rosado.

For those of you who do not understand spanish here is a translation: The forensic doctor of the PGJE, Juan Carlos Gongora Ake, said the cause of death of the tourist Brendan Nappier, 35 years of age, electrical engineer, from St. Louis, Missouri, was from suffocation and intoxication from carbon monoxide, which caused his skin to present in a red color.

For those of you who do not understand spanish here is a translation: The forensic doctor of the PGJE, Juan Carlos Gongora Ake, said the cause of death of the tourist Brendan Nappier, 35 years of age, electrical engineer, from St. Louis, Missouri, was from suffocation and intoxication from carbon monoxide, which caused his skin to present in a red color.

Thanks very much for the translation which does suggest that the cause of death was based on the clinical signs of CO poisoning rather than direct measurement of blood carboxyhemoglobin (COHb) or a tank CO concentration. It may be difficult to access the former in Cozumel but one would hope that the dive team could at least locate a CO detector on the island and measure the actual CO concentration in the diver's two tanks in order to confirm the cause of death with incontrovertible evidence.

It may be difficult to access the former in Cozumel but one would hope that the dive team could at least locate a CO detector on the island and measure the actual CO concentration in the diver's two tanks in order to confirm the cause of death with incontrovertible evidence.
Aldora Divers on the island bought an Analox portable CO analyzer. One would hope that the local authorities would have one, current on calibrations, but...? :idk:

Aldora Divers on the island bought an Analox portable CO analyzer. One would hope that the local authorities would have one, current on calibrations, but...? :idk:

In 2004 the Tulum "local authorities" which had seconded the tanks involved in the double CO fatality for safe keeping somehow had a nocturnal lapse in security because the following morning several of the tanks had been emptied precluding a formal tank gas analysis.

If I was in this dive team's position I'd see if I could borrow Aldora's portable analyzer and test the suspect tanks myself in front of my country's consular official and the local authorities.

Re-read the report. There was not a rapid progression into the cave. The increased pace began about 15 minutes into the dive.

Intoxicación por monóxido de carbono

That was what I was looking for. Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom