America's Oldest Agency Calling it QUITS..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hawaii Scuba Divers

Contributor
Reaction score
I live in Oahu but teach classes on all Islands.
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I have just been told by PDIC International that the YMCA program that was the 1st national agency in USA founded in 1959 is getting out of the Scuba Certification Business.
The Scuba Industry will sorely miss the YMCA program and as an Instructor Trainer for PDIC I will be more than willing to cross over any and all Current YMCA Instructors that are in Hawaii or coming to Hawaii..The Fee for this will be set by PDIC..

Doris at PDIC is hoping that current YMCA Instructors will contact her at
Scuba Diving School: PDIC International so that they can continue providing the Quality Scuba Training that both the YMCA and PDIC have been know to provide to the Scuba Diving Students that complete their Programs.

I have just been told by PDIC International that the YMCA program that was the 1st national agency in USA founded in 1959 is getting out of the Scuba Certification Business.
The Scuba Industry will sorely miss the YMCA program and as an Instructor Trainer for PDIC I will be more than willing to cross over any and all Current YMCA Instructors that are in Hawaii or coming to Hawaii..The Fee for this will be set by PDIC..

Doris at PDIC is hoping that current YMCA Instructors will contact her at
Scuba Diving School: PDIC International so that they can continue providing the Quality Scuba Training that both the YMCA and PDIC have been know to provide to the Scuba Diving Students that complete their Programs.

I wonder why the YMCA has not posted this on their SCUBA web site?

YMCA Scuba

I spoke to someone at the YMCA of the USA regarding this matter and while there is no "official" word yet, reading between the lines of the conversation, the possibility of the YMCA of the USA dropping the YMCA Scuba program does exist. If the YMCA of the USA decides to drop the program it will be sad because it is a good scuba program and because of the history involved. I wonder how many lives were changed and how many of the well-known divers and those who have made a positive contribution to the sport had started scuba diving through the YMCA program?

As a YMCA lifeguard, YMCA lifeguard instructor, and US Masters swimmer representing my local YMCA, I've very proud to be part of the YMCA family because of what YMCAs have contributed to children, families and the communities in which they operate. I've even thought about picking up a YMCA scuba instuctor certification hoping that would put pressure on my own YMCA to let me teach scuba classes there. Right now, an instructor with another agency is teaching the courses. It's frustrating to actually be an employee and part of the YMCA family and not be able to teach diving programs at the YMCA in which I'll gladly pick up lifeguard shifts when they are short staffed or teach lifeguard courses or do recertifications for existing lifeguards.

I wonder if there are YMCA scuba instructors who can't get access to YMCA pools while instructors from other agencies are able to run their classes? If so, then such situations would contribute to the demise of YMCA Scuba. But, the nature of most YMCAs is to allow people in the door and it is one of the things that makes the YMCA what it is - an open part of the community and placing Christian principles into action by doing so. However, this doesn't always help the business end of the bottom line and the reality of economics. If every YMCA with a scuba program required a YMCA Scuba program to be taught instead of allowing other agencies through the doors it would certainly help retain the YMCA program. But, of course, finding a YMCA instructor for every YMCA pool with a scuba program would also be difficult and to deprive people of the chance to learn to scuba dive for the sake of politics is something that I think would be beneath the principles of most YMCA facilities.

It's also sad that good programs fail while market driven programs thrive. I have respect for most YMCA instructors. Should the bottom fall out of the YMCA program, I'd also be happy to do crossovers to PDIC for YMCA instructors. It sounds like a sales pitch, but I don't actually mean it that way. I'd rather see YMCA instructors continue to teach thorough courses for any agency in which they can continue to teach a solid system of diving rather than quit teaching or quit teaching as well as they can. I actually hope to see the YMCA of the USA save the YMCA program.

In the next couple of months, we'll learn the status of the YMCA program. Even if it dissolves, the process won't happen over night. I just hope that YMCA instructors don't get gobbled up in the process and if they find themselves homeless, I hope they'll find their way to continuing quality training.

I hope the YMCA scuba program doesn't come to an end:shakehead:. I got my level 2 certification last year while in Pensacola, Florida. I was very impressed with the course and the instructor.
The CMAS card is unique.
I was hoping to be able to take another YMCA class when I returned to the states. I'm currently in Guam, all that is available here for training are the classes offered through
my local "market driven program":rofl3: (5 star):no
I will miss the YSCUBA program. I hope something changes and it stays.

Take care,
Mitch

I hope YMCA Scuba clarifies the situation soon. I believe I've received excellent training through the Y - OW (2003); AOW (2005), and SLAM Rescue (2008). I spoke to my instructor last night and he is planning to meet with three of us concerning starting DM training this summer. He had heard some changes were coming but had not heard that the Y was going to cease training operations. I'm not sure it would make sense to start on the Y's pro training if the organization is going to fold. It will mean some travel time but I've got to check out some PADI or NAUI possibilities.

There was a similar rumor a few years ago. It wasn't true then and it's not likely to be true now. Spreading rumors is not helpful.

The YMCA SCUBA Program is not going away. As a Y Instructor, my take is that the program is simply being re-organized and made a much larger part of the YMCA of the USA and less of an independant program.

Trace, you are absolutely correct on Y's allowing just about anyone to teach in their pools and not giving preference to the YMCA programs. That may be another big change on the horizon, but we'll see.

The bottom line, Y SCUBA isn't going anywhere, we just may wind up a little less independant and will be working more closely with our local YMCA's, which my company already does.

Gary

I asked my instructor, he heard of the rumor and said there is no truth to it. There are some organizational changes being made but the YMCA Scuba program is here to stay.

The top of the pyramid will remain intact.:D

Take care,
Mitch

I work with Gary of East Coast Divers, and agree with what he said, and was also said by TraceMalin. I have belonged to my local YMCA for as long as I can remember. I work out there regularly, and firmly believe that they should support the YSCUBA program more strongly at the national and local level. It is difficult to watch other instructors and other agencies walk in and teach, and not get the same or more support for a YMCA affiliated program. The level of training in the YSCUBA program is unmatched, and deserves stronger support.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom