An Andrea Doria Exclusive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

downdeep:
Made me wish I had taken up diving about 10 years earlier. Great article. I really enjoyed it. Not enough to go to bed with, though. You people are sad. lol

Well, I don't think I would call myself "sad"....I'm too busy during the day to read anything.....ever hear of "reading in bed"? lol :wink:

I wish I could get my copy sent to Brasil every month in the meantime I try to get friends to stop by the house and pick it up for me a month or two. Looking forward for this one sounds interesting.

aue-mike:
It would be nice if Rodale's mentioned that the wreck of the PAPOOSE is not off Morehead City but is actually quite a distance north in 200 feet of water....

?? The Papoose IS located about 40 miles south / southeast of Morehead City, NC. It lies in around 120' of water. I could give you exact depth but, I don't have my log book with me.

MSP Diver:
?? The Papoose IS located about 40 miles south / southeast of Morehead City, NC. It lies in around 120' of water. I could give you exact depth but, I don't have my log book with me.

No that is NOT actually the Papoose & Mike (aue-mike) is the 1 who should know.
It has something to do with the shape of the rudder & if you would like I can look up in issue 10 of Wreck Diving mag. to give you more specific info.

I did get my issue of Scuba Diving mag on Monday & it is the best 1 yet, but as you can see by my other subsciption I love Wreck diving so I am most definatly biased.

The article detailing all the evidence was published in a recent issue of WRECK DIVING MAGAZINE. Most of the local dive shops are aware of this fact (e.g., Olympus, Discovery, etc.)

The two main pieces of evidence conclusively proving the PAPOOSE is not off Morehead City:

Numerous Eastern Sea Frontier and USCG reports documenting the PAPOOSE drifted north and was last seen north of Diamond Shoals after she was attacked (including images of her afloat and drifting); and
the recovery of the auxilliary helm stand with serial numbers traced back to the PAPOOSE, which came from a wreck in 200 feet of water off Oregon Inlet;

The wreck commonly thought to be the PAPOOSE is the W.E. HUTTON.

As mentioned, the rudder on this wreck does not match that of the PAPOOSE, but does match the W.E. HUTTON. Also, attack records cite the depth of the HUTTON's sinking as that where the wreck long believed to be the PAPOOSE. There is other information supporting this conclusion.

The inshore wreck long thought to be the HUTTON is actually the tanker ARIO. Historical reports of its sinking support this conclusion.

The aforementioned article was also published in a NC newspaper in two parts. I can't find it online any longer, but someone saved the first half on their website, which can be found here:
http://www.discoveryof.com/eZine/NewsArticles/_2006/_11/20061112-004.pdf

But if you want the whole thing (with pictures) you would need to order Issue 10 of WRECK DIVING MAGAZINE (http://wreckdivingmag.com/back_issues.html)

Cheers,
Mike

aue-mike:
The article detailing all the evidence was published in a recent issue of WRECK DIVING MAGAZINE. Most of the local dive shops are aware of this fact (e.g., Olympus, Discovery, etc.)

The two main pieces of evidence conclusively proving the PAPOOSE is not off Morehead City:

Numerous Eastern Sea Frontier and USCG reports documenting the PAPOOSE drifted north and was last seen north of Diamond Shoals after she was attacked (including images of her afloat and drifting); and
the recovery of the auxilliary helm stand with serial numbers traced back to the PAPOOSE, which came from a wreck in 200 feet of water off Oregon Inlet;

The wreck commonly thought to be the PAPOOSE is the W.E. HUTTON.

As mentioned, the rudder on this wreck does not match that of the PAPOOSE, but does match the W.E. HUTTON. Also, attack records cite the depth of the HUTTON's sinking as that where the wreck long believed to be the PAPOOSE. There is other information supporting this conclusion.

The inshore wreck long thought to be the HUTTON is actually the tanker ARIO. Historical reports of its sinking support this conclusion.

The aforementioned article was also published in a NC newspaper in two parts. I can't find it online any longer, but someone saved the first half on their website, which can be found here:
http://www.discoveryof.com/eZine/NewsArticles/_2006/_11/20061112-004.pdf

But if you want the whole thing (with pictures) you would need to order Issue 10 of WRECK DIVING MAGAZINE (http://wreckdivingmag.com/back_issues.html)

Cheers,
Mike

I guess I stand corrected. It has been almost three years since I was in NC, at that time they (one of the two shops you mentioned) claimed it to be the Papoose.

Does that mean I have to change my log book now? :)

If I read the article correctly, it sounds like there is not much penetration diving left on the Doria. Sounds like the sea has taken it's toll on it.

Anyone know for sure?

I repeat, anyone know the current condition of the Dorea? Anyone from here (SB) dive it recently?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom