An argument for always having a snorkel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not because I am PADI, not because I have an equipment fetish- but I have been adrift in heavy seas for prolonged periods- I always stuff a collapsable snorkel in my BC. Snorkels are standard gear for military rescue swimmers, let's all do the math. It's a survival tool.

I can see it being usefull in some situations if you are out of air and in heavy wash. Typically I do not dive in that heavy of conditions, the boats won't let you. Of course, conditions can change on the quicky so I guess better safe than sorry.

I can see it being usefull in some situations if you are out of air and in heavy wash. Typically I do not dive in that heavy of conditions, the boats won't let you. Of course, conditions can change on the quicky so I guess better safe than sorry.

If you get separated from the boat, then you could be out there for a long, long time, and then conditions could really change.

I thought about starting a thread . . . but I had the same thought, who cares about an exploding tank when we have great threads about snorkel or no snorkel, or even MOF/NMOF ohh or my favorite is the split fin threads. . . .

Being new here are there any threads better than the one that ONESPEED started that has about 1700 replies errr...pics?

Thank you for the post....too many divers have forgotten what a snk is for. Agreed they can be a hassle but the few times you WANT one and have one makes up for all the fussing.

I'm with the OP on this one. However, more often than not, my snorkel has bothered rather than benefited me. I simply have not figured out a decent way to stow it. Clipping it off is awkward and creates an entanglement hazard, plus I don't need more things to clip off. Already dive with a pony and a big camera rig. I heard about folding snorkels. Anyone have experiences with those or any other suggestions on how to carry a snorkel without it being in the way all the time?

Oh, and no, having the snorkel strapped to my mask is not an option. Always in the way, and in strong current, it tends to pull on the mask, causing the seal to break.

This is almost as much fun as the split fin debates. I actually found this thread in a search I was doing, trying to determine if there are boats/shops/agencies out there requiring divers to have snorkels or if in general they are leaving certified divers alone to make their own decisions on that.

Yeah, there are some fireworks here

Thank you for the post....too many divers have forgotten what a snk is for. Agreed they can be a hassle but the few times you WANT one and have one makes up for all the fussing.

I look @ them as a seatbelt, uncomfortable but better than the alternative when all hell breaks loose....btw seaducer, I have seen the Gulf turn from flat glass to 3-6' in less than 30 minutes---you can not live in the past 30 to 80 miles offshore....

no argument. I always have my snorkle unless it is a Manta or something like that where it is suggested that you don't wear one. If someone can't dive with me because they think I am a dork for wearing one or just can't be seen with someone that wears one; that is their problem!

Why do some PRO DIVER'S think that pushing a tank to it's bitter end is the COOL thing to do. I know alot of elite divers, an they do dive with a reserve margin when they surface.

I sincerely hope you weren't looking at me when you typed this. I *never* dive my tank to the bitter end because I think it's "cool". I dive it down past 500 psi if I have to use my reserve gas for what it was designed for, an emergency or, as is usually the case, an urgency.

No one is happier than me when I get back on the boat after a thrilling but uneventful dive an everyone has exactly 500 psi in their tanks. You know why? It means that everyone got a full dive and no one had to dip into the reserve for any reason.

I think the difference you're seeing between the more experienced divers and others is that I know when to use that reserve gas and I have no hesitation in doing so if the situation warrants it. If I have to do a vis on an empty tank, so what? If that means that the dive ended less stressfully, or the surface swim was easier, or that nobody got hurt, that's what's important, not a number on a gauge.

no argument. I always have my snorkle unless it is a Manta or something like that where it is suggested that you don't wear one. If someone can't dive with me because they think I am a dork for wearing one or just can't be seen with someone that wears one; that is their problem!

I really don't think anyone on the board refuses to dive with people who wear snorkels because of the dork factor, if there even is one. I absolutely respect everyone's right to dive in a manner that they find comfortable and with the gear that lets them achieve that with the possible exception of seeing someone who presents a clear danger to themselves or others (including me) in which case I'll try to explain exactly what I perceive the issue to be. As an example, I know people don't like hoses but that does not give you the right to go without some sort of 2nd stage back-up plan for the people you're diving with or yourself.

R

I never saw the advantage of a snorkel in rough or choppy water.

FTR, I don't wear one with scuba and I have heard the rough water thing. What am I missing?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom