An Attempt at Understanding DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How then, can a DIR diver committed to the DIR methodology and philosophy not be considered in violating that methodology and philosophy when diving with someone in a non-DIR sanctioned gear configuration?

King,

My regular dive buddy has a different gear configuration than myself. However, before each dive we go over a pre-dive sequence known as GUE EDGE, I do a modified "s" drill, modified valve drill, and we both do a bubble check. He knows I wear a long hose and he knows how I donate it if he should need it. We define our plan and we follow it. We know our surface consumption rates (SCR) and we know how long our gas should last based upon our dive profile. We still regularly check our SPG during the dive and we establish minimum gas rules for turning the dive. After our dive is over we log our dive and note our air consumption and do another SCR calculation.

My buddy has never heard of GUE or DIR, however when he dives with me he is following many of the principles - he just doesn't know it :D

Sean

DIR dives are a collaborative effort. It fails if there is only one of you.

If a tree falls in a forest but nobody hears it...does it make a sound?

(pls. let me know if I got the Balanced Rig thing wrong ...)

Its good.

Depends on the dive...

On a deep tech dive, or a cave dive, it matters a lot ... and I'm gonna want to be doing that dive with someone who's got a rig that's functional, well thought-out, and appropriate to the conditions of the dive.

So, does that mean a dive with Bill Main would be unsafe?

As for the Halcyon reference ... keep in mind who wrote that book (the founder of Halcyon) ... and back when that book was written they were pretty much it for DIR gear. However, since that time some other companies have come out with some kick-ass alternatives that are completely DIR-compatible.

Actually, the configuration was originated by Bill Main, William Hograth Main, to be precise. DIR literature tends to miss that point. In a recent post on TDS, JJ freely admitted using Bill's configuration, praised Bill and went on to say the reason he didn't want to call it 'Hogartian' was because he disagreed with other aspects of Bill's philosophy. One specific example JJ gave was Bill's belief in 'Deep Air', which JJ disagrees with. The way I read that is that from a hardware standpoint, DIR and the Hogartian minimalist rigs are basically the same or at least started out the same sans evolution.

But let me make this point ... if you're focusing on gear, you're focusing on the wrong thing. Take a closer consideration of the primary concepts of DIR ... team, standardization, methodology. The gear is just the tools needed to turn those concepts into practical reality. Without an understanding and adherence to those concepts, all the gear in the world won't make somebody a DIR diver.

You can certainly dive safely using DIR methods. You can also dive safely using other methods, the Hogartian minimalist approach being another one. You can also dive safely using sidemount configurations and no-mount configurations. I would suggest my version of your last line might be 'Without an understanding and adherence to those concepts, all the gear in the world won't make somebody a safe, competent diver.

Just so nobody thinks I'm DIR bashing, let me clarify. I'm saying DIR is a well thought-out, competent system. It's just not the only 'Right Way' to dive. There are other safe, well thought out systems that had been used for years before JJ even knew there was such a thing as cave diving and are still in use today.

Be safe and have fun in the water! Bruce

Last edited:
Great post. Im glad you mentioned Bill's name.

Actually, the configuration was originated by Bill Main, William Hograth Main, to be precise. DIR literature tends to miss that point. In a recent post on TDS, JJ freely admitted using Bill's configuration, praised Bill and went on to say the reason he didn't want to call it 'Hogartian' was because he disagreed with other aspects of Bill's philosophy. One specific example JJ gave was Bill's belief in 'Deep Air', which JJ disagrees with. The way I read that is that from a hardware standpoint, DIR and the Hogartian minimalist rigs are basically the same or at least started out the same sans evolution.

You can certain dive safely using DIR methods. You can also dive safely using other methods, the Hogartian minimalist approach being another one. You can also dive safely using sidemount configurations and no-mount configurations. I would suggest my version of your last line might be 'Without an understanding and adherence to those concepts, all the gear in the world won't make somebody a safe, competent diver.

Just so nobody thinks I DIR bashing, let me clarify. I'm saying DIR is a well thought-out, competent system. It's just not the only 'Right Way' to dive. There are other safe, well thought out systems that had been used for years before JJ even knew there was such a thing as cave diving and are still in use today.

Be safe and have fun in the water! Bruce

Unfortunately this topic is the OP trying to understand DIR, not where the configuration started or if there are other safe ways to dive. Although I have the feeling the OP due to his negative feelings on DIR just wants to debate the minutiae.

I don't see how this follows? What specifically do you see in Bill Main's config that is not functional, well thought-out, and appropriate to the conditions of the dive?

In a recent post on TDS, JJ freely admitted using Bill's configuration, praised Bill and went on to say the reason he didn't want to call it 'Hogartian' was because he disagreed with other aspects of Bill's philosophy.

Or vice versa. My understanding of that post was that Bill certainly designed the "Hogarthian" system as we now call it, but it has changed somewhat since that original config, and also Bill has himself evolved the gear that he dives; as such JJ thought it would be inappropriate to label a system "Hogarthian" when Bill himself no longer would necessarily approve of it.

yes...please re-read the quote.

I would consider them not very intelligent. Its a start to the path of unsafe.

Hint: Scooters are neutral and stage bottles are very close to neutral.

but what about all those bolt snaps?

Actually, the configuration was originated by Bill Main, William Hograth Main, to be precise. DIR literature tends to miss that point.

That's odd, because in the foreword of my DIR Configuration book, it mentions specifically where the gear came from and mentions Bill Main specifically. I guess you didn't read that one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom