An easy artifical reef design anybody can do

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
I have been working on various artificial reef designs over the last 9 years, from very simple ones to complex Biorock reefs. I have learned a lot over this time about what works and what doesn't, but one of the main things I have realized is that if its not cheap and easy, it most likely won't get done. Sure there are those groups doing massive projects with multimillion dollar grants, but what about the rest of us? what about the communities that rely on the resources of the coral reefs, what's available for them?

Well one method I have found that works very well is to use bottle units, consisting of a glass beer bottles that are set in concrete using simple molds, as you can see in this photo:
Chalok-Bottle-Nurseries-Oct-2014.jpg

I have written a more detailed description of the technique and how to do it properly in this artificial reef review. But the main things to keep in mind (and the mistakes other people replicating our techniques have made) are:
  • Be sure the concrete base is light enough for volunteers to carry, but large and heavy enough to stay in place during storms (about 20 kgs) and use lots of rock aggregate in the mix to keep it heavy in the water
  • Remove the labels from the bottle first
  • Shake the nurseries in place before transplanting corals in order to sink them down in the sand about 40-80% of the way up the unit, this will further prevent movement during storms
  • Use marine epoxy to secure fragments in place, preferably immediately after they have been put down.

Of course there are probably endless modifications that others could do to better fit their specific needs or material availability. But I do think the glass is a great place for corals to grow, as it is non-toxic, will last for hundreds of years, and the corals grow over it remarkably fast.

Please be sure to read the longer review before starting, and feel free to contact me if you have any questions, or to report back your experiences with this technique.

**Disclaimer**
Artificial reef projects should never be initiated by anybody without prior training and an in-depth knowledge of the local area over a long period of time. Remember that artificial reefs are long-term projects, and never start one unless you can commit to taking care of it for at least a few years until it is well established. Check with local laws and restrictions before beginning, and be sure to get the required permissions and involve other local stakeholders.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom