An out of air emergency question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As an Instructor I teach air sharing because it works for an OOA situation or equipment failure. Once you have air then figure out the problem. Asking why questions will make you a much better diver, keep it up.

Joe

nikyyo once bubbled...
I appreciate the responses. When I talk of an ooa situation, I'm not necessarily talking about running out of air but rather equipment malfunction. That was the rationale for me thinking that perhaps it could be a second stage issue. All of your responses, however, are well taken and if i'm ever in that position I will immediately go to my buddy and get his back up. Thanks again.

A real malfunction of your 2nd stage will almost always involve either a free-flow (especially in cold water) or water in the reg (exhaust valve jammed open, ripped mouthpiece etc.). A jam is *highly* unlikely although not entirely impossible.

If something really malfunctions you'll probably notice it right away. However regardless of the cause the first thing to do is to secure a working airsource. If you have any doubt as to why your 2nd stage isn't working then go for your buddy's octo. Once you have it you have lots of time to sort out your problem.

R..

nikyyo once bubbled...
I appreciate the responses. When I talk of an ooa situation, I'm not necessarily talking about running out of air but rather equipment malfunction.

Yeah, I understand that point of view, but I think ANY Air-related problem can be quite "annoying" (if that is the right word) at a certain depth. Then go to your budy, as everybosy says. Plus, out of all the OOA situations that I've heard of (or even seen), the second stage wad not the problem. Forgetting to check air supply, first stage are more likely to bereponsibles for the incident.

In my "Level 1" class (more or less an OW), they tought me how to breathe on a free-flow reg. I found that to be very useful (if your buddy's a few meters away, for example).
Is it an OW required skill ?

Thanks for answers.

I had to pass that skill to get my open water cert.Made me more comfertable to know how to do it.Free flow is not as bad as I thought it would be on paper.Also good to know.

Jen

Amanda once bubbled...

In my "Level 1" class (more or less an OW), they tought me how to breathe on a free-flow reg. I found that to be very useful (if your buddy's a few meters away, for example).

Thanks for answers.

Yes Amanda, as far as I know it is a required skill in all agencies. At least we practice this skill as well as simulating OOA situation with every class.

Amanda once bubbled...

Thanks for answers.

Amanda absolutely! The Recreational Scuba Training Council has made it one of the minimum required skills. And part of the performance requirement is that you breath off of a free flowing regulator for no less than 30 seconds.

nikyyo as for your original question on this thread: Since you can't be sure if the 1st stage (not to be confused with the second stage primary) has actually failed or whether your tank has run dry - you would always go for your buddy's air. Then sort out the details. Just like everyone else here has already stated.

Modern regulators are designed to fail in a normally open postion - IE freeflow. So if you can no longer draw a breath from the 2nd stage primary - the 99% scenario is that you are out of air and thus you will ALSO be out of air on the second stage alternate - in a case where both regulators are attached to the same 1st stage on a single tank system.

you can breathe off your BC inflator, and you can ALSO breathe off a naked tank valve!

Some guy told me I could do the latter last summer (I didn't believe him) so I took a tank down in my pool (along with a full kit) and tried it. It took a couple of tries to figure out how to cup your hand and make an "expansion chamber" to breathe off of, but by gosh, you really can do it. :)

(You DO NOT put your mouth on the valve!)

Hi, I think you should forget about the octo. Get to your buddy and signal that you need to share. Let's first start with why anyone would run out of air! If you are monitoring your gauges/computer (making sure to have them serviced regularly) you should never be in the situation that requires air sharing. I have been diving for years ...avidly and have never found myself having to resort to my buddy for air. I'm not saying that you should not practice these skills - I'm only saying that if you are paying attention to your air supply it is very rare that your equipment will fail. Your best bet is to take the time at the beginning of your diving day to discuss with your buddy the what ifs. On your first dive spend time going over the skills.. you don't have to do this on every dive of the day. mentally visualize what you would do. How you would perform in senarios in regards to air sharing, entanglement, freeflowing regs - etc.
I'm not sure if this is good advice for beginning divers but I've always put stock into the "improvise, adapt and overcome" saying. Or better - don't put yourself in situations that you cannot handle. Hope this helps out.

I know this is kinda an "old" thread...but...I was amazed that no one (if they did i missed it) ever mentioned a completely independant air source...e.g. pony bottle.

I will definitely not get into solo diving here but if the situation occured as laid out here....and it was an equipment failure...no matter how rare....it would just be so easy to reach and secure your pony bottle reg and then ...in no panick....move to your buddy and surface safely. I just believe in self sufficiency and redundancy. dive safe!!

Pentiumchic, Frogxman and Diver Buoy, thanks for answers. i think it's a very important skill too.
:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom