An undesired ride

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If the potential for silt was high you could have used a buddy line to keep the group together.

... actually, I'm liking this idea more and more for this site. In fact, I may even pull this out for more benign sites where there's silt (or even if I just have buddies refusing to stick together!) Heh. I do have the rope already from another project...

Hi freename

So, I'm a little confused as to what happened to the SMB on the surface and why.

Did the police deliberately run over it with their boat? Did they deliberately bring the SMB into their boat? If so, why? Or did they end up with the SMB for some other reason?

Hi freename

So, I'm a little confused as to what happened to the SMB on the surface and why.

Did the police deliberately run over it with their boat? Did they deliberately bring the SMB into their boat? If so, why? Or did they end up with the SMB for some other reason?

Well, since I was under water at the time it's a little hard for me to say exactly what happened... but I believe that they grabbed it and then tried to drive off. Shortly thereafter, though, they stopped. It wasn't a very long event - just long enough.

So yes, I believe they tried to bring it into their boat - or to drive off holding it. They were claiming that they thought it was a pool noodle, but I struggle to accept that. After all, most pool noodles aren't filled with air, open on the bottom, and connected to a line leading to the depths... and most aren't going to give resistance when you pull them (I keep the line taut so the DSMB stands straight).

For what it's worth I clip my line off to the reel at Stops and hang if I'm being lazy. I've also had my DSMB pull unexpectedly and have to unclip (mine got caught in a big current at the surface).

Both my wife and I both have signaling devices (like the Dive alert) if we get separated (very infrequently we fire them off, listen and get a response so we know we're both about otherwise like you head to the surface.

Yes I'd go to the police but be nice and educate them

If they regularly patrol that area maybe let them know beforehand that there will be divers down and what your SMB looks like?

Personally I would go to the officers that were in the boat and have a friendly chat. If anyone asked why I was looking for them, I'd say "to thank them", so I could keep it between me and them. They don't know about divers and how you work the situation can insure that you have friends in high places on the surface and shore. Turning it into a circus only insures that a mistake on your part in or out of the water will not be overlooked.

Bob
--------------------------------------
is more diplomatic than he once was...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom