Analyzing Nitrox..Do You

Do you personally analyze your Nitrox Mix?

• I never dive without personally analyzing my mix!

Votes: 153 96.2%
  • I will test it if the equipment is avialable. But have dove without analyzing it!

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I trust the LDS and do not bother with it!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy:
i have to qualify my answer, since it's not an option

i don't dive Nitrox unless myself or my buddy has tested it. i know
i'm supposed to test it myself, but sometimes that's impossible and
i do trust my buddy to have tested it correctly when they arrive
at the dive site with the tanks

i think what i need to do is buy a tester and just carry it in
my car... of course... that costs money....

Andy,

Just remember this. When your buddy makes a serious error or tests one and grabs another, he will be very sorry and feel very remorseful.

You will not........feel......anything........ever again.

yes i know... it is a big deal

but... don't you trust your buddy with your life anyway, when you dive with
them?

i wouldn't do this (let them measure my 02) with just anyone. in fact, just one
person, ever. i trust him enough that it's not a big deal to me (with him).

there are other people this would apply to, it's just that the situation only came
up once or twice.

H2Andy:
yes i know... it is a big deal

but... don't you trust your buddy with your life anyway, when you dive with
them?

Andy,

First of all, the answer is "no". I do not. I train and equip to the "self-rescue" level. I hope to Hell if that fails, my buddy will recognize what's happening, and be up to the task of the recovery.

Since I dive with folks with serious levels of training and experience I "believe" that is what will happen.

Second of all, just as President Reagan said: "Trust, but verify." In aviation, we are always checking each other's actions. We not only expect that, we demand that. If his sieve catches most errors, and mine catches some more, we can bring the total that are missed to zero. It is a defensive measure called "error trapping". That is why there are two of us in the cockpit.

Didn`t you say that you just finished....then you should know that all responsible, safe divers NEVER dive EAN with out first checking the mix.....you would be foolish not to, don`t you test your regular air..21% before using it....smell and/or taste...to see it it might have been contaminated???? as part of your pre-dive readiness check ....besides ,if you are using the tables, then you must be accurate with the EAN percentages....YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON IT.......even with a `puter, there can be problems, percentages and personal verification is VITAL.....do you trust YOUR LIFE to the word of someone else, in many cases a total stranger??????? I DON`T

My LDS requires that you analyze it then sign off on it before you leave. Makes sense to me.

I always make sure the isolator is open so double anlayzing is not necessary. The proper method is to always fill and always analyze off the same post. That correct post is the right post.

PerroneFord:
Not to step on the thread, but I have an additional question. How many of you diving doubles check both posts? After the incident in FL this year, and the subsequent testing and experimenting that went on concerming tank mixing, I always check both posts when diving doubles.

Dan Gibson:
I always make sure the isolator is open so double anlayzing is not necessary. The proper method is to always fill and always analyze off the same post. That correct post is the right post.

This works great if you're doing your own fills. I am not a blender yet. So, until then, I'll analyze both posts.

PerroneFord:
Not to step on the thread, but I have an additional question. How many of you diving doubles check both posts? After the incident in FL this year, and the subsequent testing and experimenting that went on concerming tank mixing, I always check both posts when diving doubles.

For doubles.

1) check isolator is open -- if not, make the store redo it
2) check right post
3) check left post (O2 and PSI)

if (2) and (3) do not match, back it goes.

This is done at the store and before the dive.

I always check. I trust my buddy but would not want to live with the possible repercussions if I made a mistake on theirs, so I would not want them to live with the same mistake. I would not be comfortable diving with any doubt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom