Analyzing tanks for CO?

What percentage of the time do you analyze you tanks for CO?

• 100% (or close I realize no one is perfect)

Votes: 17 28.8%
  • 75-99%

Votes: 6 10.2%
  • 50-74%

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • 25-49%

• 1-24%

• never

Votes: 30 50.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think I saw somewhere that the acceptable range for diving (in the US) was around 10ppm. I have set my personal limit at 3ppm for recreational diving and 0 for anything beyond that.

what are those numbers from?

OSHA limit is 50ppm for 8 hours

Last edited:
Hemoglobin has a high affinity for O2. It has an incredibly higher affinity for CO, AND IT WON'T LET IT GO!
At any given time the Hb (hemoglobin) in your arterial side blood is ~98% saturated with O2. More O2 and/or depth won't particularly change that as the red blood cells are maxed out.
If you have any CO in the tank as you dive deeper you are getting WAY MORE MOLECULES of CO in your lungs due to increased gas density, so it becomes increasingly competitive with O2 with CO being inherently more successful. Once a red blood cells is 'tied up' with CO, that one is out of commission for a long, long time. This is not even speculating on the absorption of CO in the plasma and then transferred to the cells, just like N2 would be. So that is there also and needs to be dealt with by the body during off gassing. It gets real ugly.

Depth great magnifies the problems associated with CO exposure.

At 90 feet CO becomes 4 times as effective bonding with Hemoglobin and blocking O2 uptake.
In some cases of CO poisoning while at depth, the high partial pressure of oxygen prevents symptoms from occurring until reaching the surface.
CO also blocks several of the critical enzymes in cell mitochondria that 'burn' energy, this directly kills the cells. Brain and heart cells are damaged by CO to a greater extent than other cells as they require a lot of oxygen, even low kevels of CO poisoning can leave serious and permanent injury.

Last edited:
10ppm limit for rec diving would make sense if it compounds with pressure. Would be around 40ppm equivalent at 30m depth.

10ppm limit for rec diving would make sense if it compounds with pressure. Would be around 40ppm equivalent at 30m depth.

In Canada the CSA standard for Z275 (divers air ) is 3ppm CO. I personally would not want to see anything above zero as it just shouldn't be present at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom