Anatomy of Great Lakes wreck dive - the Stalker

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cool pics and good report. I really want to get up to the great lakes for some wreck diving. That wreck would have disintegrated a hundred years ago in our waters. Hell, our 20th century STEEL wrecks don't look that good!

As for the scuba police... regardless of the intent, your level of training, or whatever sense of entitlement you posess, a non-overhead trained diver should not be telling anyone about how they should or should not dive in an overhead. This is just like the non-cave trained internet divers critiqueing on technique and trim in videos and pictures. If you haven't been there and/or you haven't been trained there, you don't know what you are talking about and you have no business telling someone else how to do it.

Jeff, awesome pictures, hey, I can see planking and boards and such on those pics, are these wrecks not covered in zebra muscles? We went to a couple wrecks here by Escanaba, and they were completely encrusted. they are shallower than this one that you were on tho, could that be it? and are other wrecks that way in such good condition? We've been invited to dive some near the straits but I'm not comfortable yet with the depth, but I am looking forward to it after I gain some experience. thanks again for the pics, hope you post more.

Bill

The Straits are blessed with quite a few wreck in outstanding condition and are at a reasonable depth. The Stalker, the Sandusky and the Young are all great examples of wrecks in outstanding condition (given their age).

While the muscles cover quite a bit of the wrecks some areas (especially the interior) don't seem to have the same amount of coverage.

Glad you enjoyed the images.

Jeff, awesome pictures, hey, I can see planking and boards and such on those pics, are these wrecks not covered in zebra muscles? We went to a couple wrecks here by Escanaba, and they were completely encrusted. they are shallower than this one that you were on tho, could that be it? and are other wrecks that way in such good condition? .
Bill

hey Jeff, when you say " reasonable depth"? what kind of depth are you talking about, deepest I've been is 45 feet,not sure I want to get any deeper just yet

One of the reasons for the outstanding condition of the wrecks in the straits is many of them went down in the 80 -110' range (the Barnum and some of the more broken up wrecks are shallower) beyond the range of storm surge.

So you best bet is to get in as much practice as you can and then sign up for a trip that includes a DM in the water. Rec Diving in Royal Oak, MI does this a couple of times a year.

hey Jeff, when you say " reasonable depth"? what kind of depth are you talking about, deepest I've been is 45 feet,not sure I want to get any deeper just yet

Jeff,

Thank you for the great post and wonderful pictures. It's been awhile since I was on the Stalker and it's nice to see her again.

Paula

Nice pics. Thanks for sharing. I'm hoping to hit Erie next summer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom