And the best place to dive in Peninsular Malaysia is?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Antarctic-Adventurer

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Last minute trip just booked. Friday 21st-31st December, i.e. this Friday. Unfortunately I can't make it to Borneo which I know has fantastic diving, so I am just limited to the Peninsular. Where is the best diving to be found here?

Any advice gratefully received. I have dived most of the Philippines and Indonesia so far, to give some background.

Tenggol Island.

Unfortunately, it's the wrong time of year and the diving is shut down for the season. You can hop on a quick flight to Phuket, though.

So I have discovered! Thanks for your reply.

Two questions, are the Similans diveable this time of year and if the peninsular is out, how about Borneo?

So I have discovered! Thanks for your reply.

Two questions, are the Similans diveable this time of year and if the peninsular is out, how about Borneo?
I had replied to this, but I guess my reply was lost with the data corruption issue SB suffered recently. So here goes again....

1) Yes, the Similans are in peak season at the time you want to dive.
2) You can dive at Sipadan off Borneo at any time of year, though it's bound to be a bit soggy when you want to go. The rest of Borneo pretty much shuts down.

I had replied to this, but I guess my reply was lost with the data corruption issue SB suffered recently. So here goes again....

1) Yes, the Similans are in peak season at the time you want to dive.
2) You can dive at Sipadan off Borneo at any time of year, though it's bound to be a bit soggy when you want to go. The rest of Borneo pretty much shuts down.

Thanks for your advice. I ended up in the Similans on a four night, four day liveaboard (MV Daranee) and had a good time. Borneo can wait for the dry season, :wink:

Hi, sorry to jump on your post, but I am planning a trip to Malaysia in July and wanted to know where the best diving is? maybe Borneo or Perhentian Islands? or if anyone can suggest anywhere else? thankss.

'Best' is subjective but my vote is for Sipadan.

Worked in Perhentians, diving was good, but never had a really outstanding dive.

Yes, I agree with supergaijin--if you're considering all of Malaysia, including Borneo, then it's Sipadan, hands down. Be aware that you have to fly to Borneo, though--there's no option of overland+ferry to get there as there is for the peninsular Malaysia destinations.

Perhentian is nice but wasnt worth the travel time, to me.. I'd rather Tioman for the balance between budget/quality/distance

Borneo would definitely be better than peninsular Malaysia

Back
Top Bottom