...and there goes the hair!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is a MUCH better way my wife and I came up with.. and you do NOT have to sleep with it. L.O.L.

First take a LOT of conditioner and work it into your hair. (We have done this on the boat a hundred times or you can do it before you leave your motel or home)

Second you take a Hair rubber band and pull all your hair thru it making the band as tight as you can towards your scalp. YOU will end up with one long "stick" of hair.

Third: YOU then place that long "stick" of hair on a piece of Heavy Duty Aluminum Foil that has been folded over so it is two sheets thick. It should be about a inch or two longer then the hair and about 4-6 inches wide. YOU wrap the hair in the foil. I find after I squeeze it if I twist gently it will get even tighter.

You now have a Long stick of Aluminum Foil with the hair soaked in Conditioner.

My wife then twist it into a circle like a Bun. (takes her about 3 seconds to do)

It will be about the size of a small hamburger bun.

She now buys one of those "things" sorry do not know the word.. Maybe a doo rag??

and puts that over the foil.

She had done as many as 5 dives in a day with it and it stays in. The Aluminum Foil will turn darker because of the Salt.

It used to take TWO hours with TWO of her friends brushing her hair out and she would be in tears.

NOW...NO problems ever. She pulls it off after the last dive, runs a comb thru it and has never had a problem.

We have been all over the world doing this and all the women who try it love it.

I asked her to marry me under under in St. Croix and then a year later took her to Fiji for two weeks and Married her underwater there.

Good luck ladies... I promise you this works the best !

Seriously, though, I have heard anecdotal evidence that a hood adds bouancy which has to be compensated for.

I use braids, and plenty of them. I have fairly short hair, and I will make 2 braids near the front of the head, and the rest in back. A french braid is also good for picking up stray hairs.

I also take a small pump bottle with watered down conditioner for boat trips, but I find that a good fresh water rinse followed by the conditioner is best. Nothing fancy, just the stuff I normally use. A wide toothed comb is also a good idea!

Seriously, though, I have heard anecdotal evidence that a hood adds bouancy which has to be compensated for.
How many inches thick is the hood?!? :eek:

Okay, I just took my thickest hood (a very warm one, and my head's certainly not small) outside to experiment. A 1-pound lead weight (my smallest) was ample to sink it in a bucket of water. I don't have any need to actively compensate for less than a pound. I don't even notice a change in my breathing.

My not-cold-water beanie hood, on the other hand, is virtually indistinguishable from neutral. (My lunch has measurably more impact on my buoyancy. :biggrin:)

Actually, my oldest younger sister was at the grocery store one day a few years back. One of my nieces was there riding in the cart. In the middle of the produce section, they came across a lady facing away from them and sporting a long light-colored ponytail. My niece saw her, pointed, and called out "UNCLE! UNCLE!" My sister apparently went bright red as she shushed her daughter and told her "That's not your uncle!" I can only imagine what the lady thought. :rofl3:

I don't even need to comment :rofl3:

As for me, I've found that "grin and bear it" is the story of my life. I hear the ripping of the hair as I pull off my mask and think "yeah, that's diving..." It takes a strong woman to sacrifice her hair to the power of the gear.

(I'm not strong- I plan on taking notes on this thread and putting the tips to good use!)

Here is a MUCH better way my wife and I came up with.. and you do NOT have to sleep with it. L.O.L.

First take a LOT of conditioner and work it into your hair. (We have done this on the boat a hundred times or you can do it before you leave your motel or home)

Second you take a Hair rubber band and pull all your hair thru it making the band as tight as you can towards your scalp. YOU will end up with one long "stick" of hair.

Third: YOU then place that long "stick" of hair on a piece of Heavy Duty Aluminum Foil that has been folded over so it is two sheets thick. It should be about a inch or two longer then the hair and about 4-6 inches wide. YOU wrap the hair in the foil. I find after I squeeze it if I twist gently it will get even tighter.

My wife then twist it into a circle like a Bun. (takes her about 3 seconds to do)

She now buys one of those "things" sorry do not know the word.. Maybe a doo rag??

She had done as many as 5 dives in a day with it and it stays in. The Aluminum Foil will turn darker because of the Salt.

It used to take TWO hours with TWO of her friends brushing her hair out and she would be in tears.

NOW...NO problems ever. She pulls it off after the last dive, runs a comb thru it and has never had a problem.

We have been all over the world doing this and all the women who try it love it.

I asked her to marry me under under in St. Croix and then a year later took her to Fiji for two weeks and Married her underwater there.

Not to mention this technique also serves the dual purpose of keeping the aliens from being able to read your mind :D.

thank Neptune we're not talking about the she-p

My daughter- long silky blond hair to her waist...
She braides her hair for diving and then just wears a bandana/skully....
She never has problems and looks cool...

Also, get a slap strap for her mask. They are fabric and now attach without velco to the mask. Scubatoys......
Much easier and cute too.

Thats a great idea it works under a motorcycle helmet!

My wife carries a small bottle of diluted cream rinse in her dive bag. When she gets back on the boat she uses it to get the knots out. It also seems to reduce the overall damage from salt & UV. As for myself, I used to have fairly long hair, but now I find that diving may be the only activity where going bald is an advantage.

I have seen the rinse on a few boats

You're the only guy because I just came into the discussion. Depending on where I am diving, I will wash my hair immediately upon exiting the water and use conditioner. My stylish suggested rubbing conditioner into my hair prior to diving (as some previous posters said) and said that would protect it and help ease out any tangles. I also keep it in a pony tail just below my mask strap and find that usually I dont get a lot of tangles.

Rob

This isn't an endorsement, I just know about Scubado Rags ScubaDoRag™.com and have friends that use them. I bought one and never used it again after the first time as I prefer a 5 mil hood and I shave my head anyway. It's all a matter of taste.
Steven

Your wife might want to experiment with different conditioners. Most of the conditioners on the market today actually make my hair drier and more tangled (It's waist length - there's a photo here http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/sb-fitness-challenge/236998-6-5-2008-weigh-pictures.html ). No matter how tangled my hair is, though, if I have the right conditioner the tangles comb out in the shower with absolutely no fuss. In 25+ years of having shoulder to thigh length hair (which just hangs loose most of the time), I have yet to have a tangle that the right conditioner doesn't untangle immediately. The key seems to be having cyclopentasiloxane near the top on the ingredient list. The only one I can find currently that fits the bill is Clairol Herbal Essences colored/permed/dry/damaged hair Replenishing Conditioner. (The old style bottle - straight up and down shape. The newer one for colored hair - a wave shape - is close but doesn't quite use the same formulation.)

As I noted earlier in the thread - for diving I just braid it down my back. When I'm done diving, I wash my hair. Condition my hair from chin level to the ends. Comb it out with the conditioner still in (at its most tangled, it might take a minute), finish soaping and rinsing the rest of me, then rinse out the conditioner. I keep my hair long mostly because I hate running to the beauty shop every month to keep the cut looking nice. (The appearance of long hair is much more forgiving if the trim doesn't happen quite so frequently.) If had to go through as much trouble as you've described just to go diving I'd probably just whack it off and put up with running in for a trim every month or so. :D

Back
Top Bottom