And they say PADI is a joke

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chiara

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
On my last day in the Maldives, I was killing time at the diving centre, trying to cope with the idea that having to catch a plane home I couldn't get properly wet.

There were four people doing their final OW written exams: two of them went quietly about it and succeeded with four mistakes each, the other two kept talking to each other, trying to find out the right answers :bonk:

Guess what?

They both failed :wink:

It's a pity I didn't stay a day longer to see if they managed to fail the second set of questions as well.

It's the first time I see someone failing, and they were both quite good in the water.

As I understand it, with PADI you can do bits of the course where ever you like. If these divers have their open water dives and confined water sessions signed off they they can take the theory exam (B) with another dive centre.

A friend of mine couldn't complete her AOW (ear trouble) but has three of the dives signed off. She now has to do two more dives within the next year to get the ticket.

That said, the theory exam isn't exactly tricky. I've never seen anyone fail it either.

Though it's a little off topic ...

You are speaking of the student referral program. Yes you can break a PADI OW course into 3 components ... knowledge development, confined water, and open water. You can refer a student after they complete of any 1 or 2 of these three sections.

However, the final certifying instructor is responsible for the job (good or poor) done by the original dive instructor. Which is why the acceptance of a referral is not a done-deal. An evaluation must be made by the instructor to see if the student in fact successfully completed the referred parts. PADI leaves the meat of the "evaluation" up to the certifying instructor and places the full liability on them.

Don't forget about cost. In some cases you may still pay full price for an entire class a second time (though you may only repeat a 1/3 of it). Bottom line - call the LDS where you plan to take your referral to determine what they expect from you. Including how much they charge, and what paperwork you will need to bring with you (such as referral paperwork, another copy of medical statement from your doctor, passport photo pictures for the cert card, if appropriate log book), and any other items you can't quickly obtain while being marooned at a resort course on an island in the middle of the ocean 10,000 miles from home.

And finally as you stated ... there is a time limit on the referral. Even within the 12 months the more time that passes the more likely the certifying instructor is to require more material to be repeated ... at the least a possible pool session to review skills and in the worst case scenario more classroom time.

As for AOW there is no exam, and depending on the instructor no classroom. You can discuss knowledge reviews for each adventure dive at the dive site (or on the boat). Students then turn in the knowledge reviews at the back of the chapter, suit up, and go diving. Repeat 5 times.

DiverBuoy once bubbled...
That is shameless ... ethically and morally. They should be allowed to take test B - IMO !

Never said they were not allowed to, just wondering if they managed tp pass it with set B.

Had I been the instructor I would have put them in separate rooms. :bonk:

Per PADI standards the certifying instructor must be the instructor who conducts the final OW dive. I have had many students fail the test the first time through. The ones who fail are usually the ones who think they deserve a card because they paid the course fee. Some just aren't willing to put in the effort. For that matter I often require students to spend extra time in the pool and do additional OW dives beyond the four that are required. Why? Because they aren't good enough.

Any student would have to deal with my same rules however they came to me. Not good enough doesn't pass. If all they have is open water left, I take them to the pool and do a rapid fire shadowing of - setup, donning, dozen skills test and a buoyancy check. We remediate if they mess anything up. I'd also do an oral exam on a few critical areas of knowledge review.

Mainly Eau d'Heure, Rochefontaine, Aquamarine (Brussels outskirts) and when it was still open Scoufflény.

Sen me a private message, we can organize something together!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom