Failed CESA in OW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In other words yo are incapable of looking anything up for your self?

I believe you misunderstand how this works. If YOU make an assertion, YOU need to provide the evidence to back up your assertion. You have to do your own homework.
Let's try to understand the basic rules of logic.

If you say something exists, and I suggest that it does not exist, it is up to you to prove that it exists. What evidence can I possibly provide to show that something does not exist?

I'm not the one posting in "Basic,"
This entire thread is in Basic. You chose to post in it.
I have noticed so many here can't be bothered to share opinions
If the issue is facts versus opinions, most of us will take facts every time.
Asserting opinions and guesses as facts is not welcomed. Making a factual statement ("scuba incidents are increasing") without supportin evidence is unacceptable; if it is an opinion, then facts to the contrary can't be dismissed.
Or even be kind. Is that too much to ask for?
Kindness is the nominal starting position. From then on it depends on the interactions; tit is often met with tat, and bogus information is refuted, initially politely, then increasingly less politely.

I have noticed so many here can't be bothered to share opinions, post interesting knowledgeable things to read. Or even be kind. Is that too much to ask for?
You don't seem to understand the difference between facts and opinions. An opinion is something you believe but which cannot be clearly proven. You can get people to agree with your opinion through various rhetorical processes, including the introduction of facts. Facts are things that can be proven and for which there is no dispute.

You have articulated a number of strongly held opinions, but when you try to support those opinions with the purpose of persuading others, you use statements of fact that are not actually true. That would be sad if you were mistaken in using those supposed facts. It happens to everyone, though. In my nearly 19 years on ScubaBoard, I have made a number of statements that I heartily believed but that have turned out not to be true. In those cases, I was embarrassed and readily admitted the errors. In your case, though, you move on from one piece of clear misinformation to another, and as you do it again and again and again, it begins to appear intentional. Once you develop a reputation for intentionally using misinformation to support an opinion, it will become increasingly difficult to persuade others.

So people who choose to dive with no BC stand on the bottom, hang onto/ and dynamite coral???
No, my statement was responding to berndo who suggested people go see some Flipper episodes for how divers used to dive, or, talk to an old diver. My point was that old divers and old diving methods were not perfect, and as seen to day some practices were terrible.
I think he's referring to Cousteau getting the Calypso inside the Blue Hole.
Exactly.
Yeah, but if they had BC’s they would have been doing the same thing. He made it sound like no BC divers from back in the day were a bunch of nautical environmental criminals. Those guys were, but that has nothing to do with whether there were Bc’s or not on the scene. It probably would have been worse with BC’s because they could have carried more dynamite.
You infer incorrectly, I have made no comments about diving without a BC (I started without a BC). My comments were solely related to the old divers were not perfect, especially their environmental practices.

I agree with all this, but you still didn’t answer my question, but I’ll take it.
I was a freediver before I got scuba certified and I still am a freediver.
I think you know where I was going with this.
In this day and age scuba is taught without any freediving or skin diving skills, and I think that deprives modern scuba divers of a valuable skillset.
Sorry, I just don't want to start a row over scuba and freediving. I was 14 when I started freediving and it took me 2 years to get good at it. Your body must develop for freediving. I swim every day I don't dive. Today people don't have the time or the opportunity to do that. They have to take the elevator rather than the stairs. But definitely freediving is a huge benefit to a scuba diver.

No, my statement was responding to berndo who suggested people go see some Flipper episodes for how divers used to dive, or, talk to an old diver. My point was that old divers and old diving methods were not perfect, and as seen to day some practices were terrible.

Exactly.

You infer incorrectly, I have made no comments about diving without a BC (I started without a BC). My comments were solely related to the old divers were not perfect, especially their environmental practices.
Anyone who would watch the old “Flipper” show to “see how people used to dive” is not seeing how people used to dive. “Flipper” was a show, a TV show, and as such had not much to do with how people used to dive, but rather what the script said to do. That’s like saying that watching “Sea Hunt” with “Mike Nelson” was how people used to dive; I remember a bunch of us high school divers tearing “Sea Hunt” apart because of infractions that we saw, at that time.

SeaRat

Anyone who would watch the old “Flipper” show to “see how people used to dive” is not seeing how people used to dive. “Flipper” was a show, a TV show, and as such had not much to do with how people used to dive, but rather what the script said to do. That’s like saying that watching “Sea Hunt” with “Mike Nelson” was how people used to dive; I remember a bunch of us high school divers tearing “Sea Hunt” apart because of infractions that we saw, at that time.

SeaRat
This thread is a lot like Sea Hunt! I think if some of the thread participants were diving together, there would be knives, cut hoses and even more expenditure of (hot) air.

This thread is a lot like Sea Hunt! I think if some of the thread participants were diving together, there would be knives, cut hoses and even more expenditure of (hot) air.
Naw, I think if people here were face to face a lot of the brouhaha and shenanigans would be absent. People are a lot more respectful in person.

Back
Top Bottom