Failed Hydro AND failed Viz?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mate how about you put your ugly rusty tank, and questionable character to bed, and let us get on with it

Have some fun man, play some music and sing some songs, no one really cares and nothing really matters
Well then get on with it! Nobody is stopping you. After all, you're the one who keeps coming back here so what does that say?

wait, the tanks were free? where'd you find them, craigslist dumpster diving section?
No, there was a sign on the side of the road that said "Free Diving gear". I stopped and looked and took it all. Two regulators, old but still functional and good for parts. A BCD but not the kind I'll use. A wetsuit, small ladies. Lots of assorted small stuff like a beacon light, keepers, snap links, two masks and a flashlight. Five steel 72's. Three of them were still within the Hydro test date although all of them need VIZ's. Those three were put aside while I concentrated on the two others.

One looked good but was out of Hydro date. That one passed the Hydro test but failed the Viz. I'll tumble it and get it done again. (But someplace else!) This is the one that started me wondering about the lack of consistency of their procedures. The last tank looked pretty rough. I was planning on refinishing it as a project if it passed.

After I checked all my "free stuff" over, I ended up with a pile of small items and hardware that are all serviceable, a couple of old regulators that actually have good IP's, a BCD that I'll never use and five steel 72's, at least three of which are perfectly are perfectly usable. All for free.

Now, I am absolutely positive that someone such as yourself would never stoop to such a disgraceful low and shame yourself by taking and using free SCUBA tanks (Gasp! The horror!) but I have no such silly or stupid hangups so I'll use these tanks.

P.S. If you see any signs for free Scuba gear, point them out to me.

Now, I am absolutely positive that someone such as yourself would never stoop to such a disgraceful low and shame yourself by taking and using free SCUBA tanks (Gasp! The horror!) but I have no such silly or stupid hangups so I'll use these tanks.
im guessing you also dont have any hangups over dragging a reputable shop on the internet or yelling at a store employee, all over a rusty set of free tanks

im guessing you also dont have any hangups over dragging a reputable shop on the internet or yelling at a store employee, all over a rusty set of free tanks
No, I have no hangups whatsoever dragging a shop who made five mistakes too many, I never yelled at any store employee and it was only one rusty tank. Now you know so you don't have to guess!

Anyway, I picked my second tank up today. It had a Sticky on it saying "Condemned. Failed hydro and viz". There were no other markings and no X's that are supposed to be stamped over the DOT number if it failed the hydro. When I asked how that was possible, I got no response. I asked which test was done first and got "The Visual Inspection was completed first and then the tank was sent out for hydro testing". So I asked why it was sent out if it had already failed the Visual Inspection. I was told "Because that way, you can keep on using it". Uhhmm say what? I told him I wanted a refund and he gave it back to me with no argument.
Actually, this makes sense to me. They opened the tank to do the VIP and saw it was bad. Before having you tumble it, they did the hydro.

That's what I'd have requested they do. Failing visual isn't that big a deal. It just means you need a tumble or other cleaning. But that can wait until after hydro, no? If you tumble first, then do hydro, they'd potentially have you paying for VIP, hydro, and tumble of a failed tank. They make sure it passes hydro before cleaning.

The only thing that seems odd to me is that they break out the hydro and vis costs. If I were Billy Joe Jim Bob the dive shop manager, I'd have had a package price for both since you're going to get the vis done anyway.....

Edit: I was lazy and hadn't read the shop's response before posting.

It failed vis so badly the shop didn't feel it was worth doing a hydro. They messed up by not communicating correctly what had happened and thus not refunding as per their normal policy.

They did refund the cost, and not xxxx out the tank. No harm no foul.

That's all I ask when my tank fails. I'll clean it up see if it passes elsewhere. And if it is truly bad, so be it.

Just seems like a communication issue, and rookie desk guy issue.

They did refund the cost, and not xxxx out the tank. No harm no foul.
Yep. Exactly. I can understand posting for opinions/advice at the initial mixup. The tanks were never officially condemned, so nothing is stopping the OP from taking them to another shop. Yes, there was an issue, and the dive shop did admit that. It wasn't really until the dive shop responded that it was clear that the OP was refunded. (There was a post, that could have been interpreted that a refund happened on Page 3, but not exactly clear.)

If dragging the dive shop through the mud wasn't the goal, then a post stating clearly that a refund was received, should have happened.

At this point, what's the goal? Apart from some aggravation, there was no harm done. OP has the tanks and was refunded for the Hydro that didn't happen.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom