Failed Hydro AND failed Viz?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We are a hydro facility. A cylinder failing hydro can not be made incapable of being filled without the owner's consent. i.e. drilling a hole or destroying the threads. We are required to X out the DOT information, (not the SN#). If I fail a cylinder on visual which is required, I X out the DOT info. The hydro facility is required to perform a visual as well as the hydro test.

Also a point is if a dive shop fails the VIS they are not authorized to X out the DOT info, only a facility with a requalifier identification number, (RIN) may do that. The proper handling of a failed vis by a dive shop is to simply reject the cylinder unless they hold a Visual RIN number. Of course RIN numbers don't come cheap as you have to submit to an audit by and independent inspection agency every five years. Paperwork retention and requirements as well as periodic training with documentation. Oh and the DOT can come knocking at your door any time they want to perform a review of you systems. We have had three such visits over the last 20+ years!

Having read the response directly from the LDS owner, they are a scummy business amd deserve to be drug throug the mud. They tried to screw over th OP and when that failed banned him. They need to be out of business.

They did refund the cost, and not xxxx out the tank. No harm no foul.

That's all I ask when my tank fails. I'll clean it up see if it passes elsewhere. And if it is truly bad, so be it.

Just seems like a communication issue, and rookie desk guy issue.
Yes, they did refund the cost after I demanded it. There was nothing voluntary about it. No, they did not XXX anything out so there was no foul. Only, that was because I knew what to look for. Had I not known to look for dates or x's, I would have just assumed that Sticky notes were the proper way to condemn a tank. After all, that's what this "reputable shop" expected me to do. They expected me to just take my condemned tank and leave while they kept my money. That's exactly what would have happened if I had not known.

A foul isn't not voided because it was blocked. It's still a foul because the intention was there, even if it wasn't successful. Plus, it's not the first issue. They did the same thing with the first tank. It failed the Viz but was sent out anyway for the Hydro, which it passed. I questioned why it was sent out for the Hydro if it failed the Viz and was told "so you can keep using it". I'm not sure how that works so I got curious and researched here and other places about Hydro''s and Viz's and failing them.

Imagine my surprise when I discovered that Sticky notes aren't the way SCUBA tanks are marked condemned. Actual service tags are the most common method. Plus, there's usually some kind of info like why it was condemned besides just a Sticky with "Condemned".

It was a good thing I learned about Hydro's and Viz markings. Otherwise, I would have just left with my Sticky note condemned tank and they would have kept my money. That's the real problem.

Having read the response directly from the LDS owner, they are a scummy business amd deserve to be drug throug the mud. They tried to screw over th OP and when that failed banned him. They need to be out of business.
Haha wowee

Calm it down a notch there big guy, that's a little extreme

Back
Top Bottom