Failed Hydro AND failed Viz?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Waterwulf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I took a couple of old steel 72's in to a dive shop for testing. I expected the first one to fail the Viz and it did so I'm going to tumble it and try it again. (It passed the Hydro)I expected the second one to pass since it had been in use and was full when I got it. (Yes, I know that I don't know what happened to it in a prior life) Here's the thing. It failed both the Hydro and the Viz. Why would the shop do the Viz after the tank already failed the most important part, the Hydro. Is that standard practice, maybe to make sure it's dead by failing it twice?

The only required VIP is actually prior to the hydro process, so if it failed the DOT required VIP then it shouldn't have been hydro'd. If it passed the DOT required VIP then it should have passed whatever VIP they require to put a sticker on there. Either way if they said it failed vip then you shouldn't pay for the hydro because they shouldn't have conducted said hydro....

I took a couple of old steel 72's in to a dive shop for testing. I expected the first one to fail the Viz and it did so I'm going to tumble it and try it again. (It passed the Hydro)I expected the second one to pass since it had been in use and was full when I got it. (Yes, I know that I don't know what happened to it in a prior life) Here's the thing. It failed both the Hydro and the Viz. Why would the shop do the Viz after the tank already failed the most important part, the Hydro. Is that standard practice, maybe to make sure it's dead by failing it twice?
Can't speak for your shop, but my shop builds VIP into the cost of a hydro. If they're doing hydro, it's trivial added effort to do the viz.

Did they charge separately for the viz and hydro? That seems sketchy to me. I suppose at least they didn't do the viz, have you tumble it, and then do the hydro...

The only required VIP is actually prior to the hydro process, so if it failed the DOT required VIP then it shouldn't have been hydro'd. If it passed the DOT required VIP then it should have passed whatever VIP they require to put a sticker on there. Either way if they said it failed vip then you shouldn't pay for the hydro because they shouldn't have conducted said hydro....
It would have gotten a Visual Inspection by the hydro tester prior to being Hydro'd? As part of the five year Hydro test process? If I'm understanding that correctly, then I'll have to ask why my first tank passed the Hydro but failed their Visual Inspection. This is starting to sound shaky. If a steel tank fails Hydro, are there any markings stamped into the tank to indicate that?

yes, its required by the DOT. the only way to fail visual after passing hydro is if a steel tank is improperly handled after the hydro (like really neglected) that it becomes rusted out.

for a failed hydro, the tester is going to X out the DOT spec marking to signify it is a failed tank. or they would have needed your consent to make it unable to hold pressure anymore by physically altering the tank.

Where do you guys see the DOT mandate for a visual inspection of 3AA or 3AL scuba tanks? I checked the CFR and could not find it.

Where do you guys see the DOT mandate for a visual inspection of 3AA or 3AL scuba tanks? I checked the CFR and could not find it.
it will be in the testing procedure, this is also the only visual that can legally condemn a tank. Fun fact it is actually illegal for a dive shop to condemn a tank without permission of the tank owner since the annual visual inspection is not required by law.

It's part of the definition of requalification in 49 CFR 180.203
"Requalification means the completion of a visual inspection and/or the test required to be performed on a cylinder to determine its suitability for continued service."

Additionally it's part of the (proprietary so you have to pay for them) CGA standards which are incorporated by reference. Federal Register :: Request Access

Requalifiers are required to visual cylinders and authorized to condemn them if they fail for corrosion, pits or cracks etc. They don't usually bother to hydro them if they fail visual first.

I had a steel 72 in to do the hydro. Upon inspection they saw it had a liner and declined to do the hydro (that and the numbers were unreadable). I think I just paid for the visual. Charging for both separately seems like flogging a dead horse.:deadhorse:

Hmmm. Now my normally suspicious mind is kicking into overdrive. The first tank passed the Hydro but failed the visual so they were kind enough to tumble it for eight hours and visually inspect it again. It failed the visual again. However, I didn't see any of the telltale signs like the "track ring" around the tank circumference where it rolled on the rollers for eight hours. No, I have never tumbled a tank so I don't know that it would make track rings but everything else I've ever tumbled did. Maybe they put them in protective sacks when they tumble them?

The second one failed the hydro and the visual but why run the second one if it already failed the first one?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom