Failed CESA in OW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You need a weight check, not some app! This is something that needs real-world applications.

SeaRat
Just to let you know the app is a good base to start with if you are new to diving and not sure what weight you will need, Or if you are changing gear and just want to verify. it is real world if you use it correctly..

I have to admit that I have never heard of these requirements. They certainly are not part of the WRSTC standards, and they have not been since I first saw those standards a couple decades ago.

Could you please supply links to authoritative information on these requirements? I would like to extend my knowledge in these areas.
Yeah, I never had to do most of those for any of my certification classes.

The only time I had to do some of those was for volunteering with an organization. But diving with that organization makes it more like commercial diving rather than recreational, even though I don't get paid. There are paid staff, so I'm sure they have OSHA and insurance requirements that are different.

You need a weight check, not some app! This is something that needs real-world applications.

SeaRat
Loved reading the Bells and Barrels, and the Royal Navy History stuff. Off topic I know,...but,.....

So people who choose to dive with no BC stand on the bottom, hang onto/ and dynamite coral???
Who does that?
I think he's referring to Cousteau getting the Calypso inside the Blue Hole. Bob Hollis was there testing some of his equipment when chunks of coral started falling on his head.

Those were far different times. Back when you were supposed to dig a hole and dump your motor oil in it.

Photo recovering the bell from a WW1 wreck in 50m. 7+7mm wetsuit, no bcd, no weights and twin 12ltr steel. But you do need to be able to swim and understand freediving.

Attachments

• Bell recovery.jpeg
    Bell recovery.jpeg
    138.1 KB · Views: 42
Photo recovering the bell from a WW1 wreck in 50m. 7+7mm wetsuit, no bcd, no weights and twin 12ltr steel. But you do need to be able to swim and understand freediving.
Neutral question,
Do you believe freedivers have a better understanding if weighting and hydrodynamics therefore make better scuba divers?

I think he's referring to Cousteau getting the Calypso inside the Blue Hole. Bob Hollis was there testing some of his equipment when chunks of coral started falling on his head.

Those were far different times. Back when you were supposed to dig a hole and dump your motor oil in it.
Yeah, but if they had BC’s they would have been doing the same thing. He made it sound like no BC divers from back in the day were a bunch of nautical environmental criminals. Those guys were, but that has nothing to do with whether there were Bc’s or not on the scene. It probably would have been worse with BC’s because they could have carried more dynamite.
I’m not a lunatic miscreant that goes around destroying things with dynamite just because I choose to occasionally dive with no BC.

Neutral question,
Do you believe freedivers have a better understanding if weighting and hydrodynamics therefore make better scuba divers?
Weighting must be perfect in order to swim down the buoyancy on the surface and swim up the weight on the bottom. freedivers can't afford to get weighting wrong, the weight of your legs out of water must counter your buoyancy on the surface when freediving. Drag is a complete waste of energy.

Never mind the fact that many divers were required to tread water, hands visible, (from the wrist up,) for 30 min to be certified. Other agencies still require free swimming with weights in your hands from a specified depth and a surface swim for a specified distance. And yes every capable person should should strive for these goals.
When you made the statements quoted here, I asked you for evidence of what you wrote. You later provided documents which you said supported those claims. They don't.

Here are some comments.
  1. The documents describe NOAA training for a scientific diver certification, a certification level far beyond anything required by any recreational agency. So by "many divers" you really mean a very tiny percentage of select divers planning to do challenging scientific scientific diving as part of a NOAA team.
  2. I found nothing saying they "were required to tread water, hands visible, (from the wrist up,) for 30 min." Yes, there is a requirement for a 30 minute float, but no mention of the hands at all. The entire standard says, "Tread water for 30 minutes."
  3. You said "other agencies still require free swimming with weights in your hands from a specified depth and a surface swim for a specified distance." All agencies I know do require a surface swim for a specified distance. That has always been true. I do not know of any, however, that require "swimming with weights in your hands from a specified depth." The three documents you provided do not have that requirement.
So, as in other cases, you made factual claims, and I asked you to provide evidence of those claims. In this case, you provided three documents, one extremely long (250 pages), but none of those three documents support the claims you made, other than that divers are required to swim a certain distance on the surface, which I think everyone knows to be true. One of those documents is nothing more than a statement prohibiting free diving, which has nothing to do with anything we are discussing here.

• Bullseye!
Reactions: L13

Back
Top Bottom