Andaman coast weather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maggy

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi!

I have read some reports about bad weather on the Gulf coast and islands. And in the papers in Sweden, there were also reports about lots of rain during the the holidays in the Andaman cost, like in Phuket and surroundings.

I tend to take at least the papers weather reports not to serious, but I have to ask you people that live in the Andaman coast about the current weather situation. I will be in Koh Lanta and Ao Nang in less than two weeks. Is it normal weather for the season there rigtht now?

Here it's cold and no diving in sight:D (at least not for me at home).

It's windy. The water is cold.
It's kinda not fun.

But I'm a p#ssy.

Thanks TimA for your reply!

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear this. That must be unusual for this time of the year.

More weather reports from the area appreciated. How is Phuket and Ao Nang?

I live on Koh Lanta. We dive mostly Phi Phi, Koh Ha, and Hin Daeng/Hin Mueng. Occasionally go to the King Cruiser/Shark Point/Anemone Reef.

The last few days the wind has caused almost all companies to ditch plans to go too far away from the island, and even the local trips are turning people's stomachs because of high waves.

Having said that it was gorgeous a week or so ago. Things can turn around quick out here, but right now I struggle to keep my happy face on in front of customers.

OK, thanks. Not the news I wanted, but I feel mostly sorry for you that need all the business that you can get.

I will come to Koh Lanta on Jan28 and will dive Koh Ha on Jan 31. Hopefully the weather has changed again for the better until then. Or really soon I hope, as the water often gets low visibility after bad weather.

Good luck and hope it improves soon!

Phuket has been dry. Bone dry. But it's very windy just like everywhere else. It's still a couple of weeks before you get here, so the odds are that the wind will die down and things will be back to normal soon.

Don't worry too much if the cold water brings extra plankton in and the vis suffers a bit. The big plankton eaters like that kind of feast... maybe you'll get lucky be in the water when some of them stop off for a snack!

Thanks for the info Quero! I'm not too worried, but I kind of like good visibility.

But, of course, if I will be lucky to see a Manta or Whale Shark I can take a little low visibility:D. I haven't even considered to be that lucky. I was hoping to see a frogfish and a seahorse, as I haven't seen any of those before.

Anyway, for your sake and everyone else that is there right now, I hope the wind slows down really soon.

The current weather forecast is that the wind dies down over the weekend and as of Sunday it's going to be nice again, on both sides! Hardly any wind and sunshine, let's cross our fingers!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom