Andaman coast weather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That sounds great! What do you mean by "at six"? At a depth of six meters?
If I see a whale shark, I guess my pulse will raise a bit. Can't imagine how exciting that would be.

Brrrrr -12C here today. Also want 29:D!

Sorry, I meant at Koh Ha six, or Koh Ha five. It depends on who you dive with. The problem is that, from sea level, there are six islands at Koh Ha. When taken literally this is a problem, as Koh means island and Ha means five. So to have six islands at Koh Ha drives those with a literal mind a bit nuts. The Thais I work with get around it by referring to the biggest island as Koh Ha Yai. That means "Biggest of the Five Islands" roughly. That way the smallest pinnacle is Koh Ha Five (or The Fifth of Five Islands).

Confused yet?

The rest of us, to simplify things, recognize that the sixth island is it's own pinnacle and therefore deserves the name Koh Ha Six. Whilst that may be illogical (to have a sixth island on a five island chain), it makes sense when you look at them from the surface.

The best explination I have heard yet is that when Koh Ha got its name, number six and number five (Yai) were connected during low tide. It makes sense considering the shallow depths that are between the two. After hundreds of years of rising water levels, the two were seperated, now giving us six islands as opposed to five.

Really confused yet?

Here's all that matters to you. The small one (call it six or five, who cares) has a yellow sea horse at 8 to 10m and a few ornate ghost pipefish right in the middle of a diagonal crevice. Any instructor or DM who knows their way around will show you. There's also a honeycomb moray and loads of lobsters, nudis and other little critters as you make your way towards Koh Ha Yai. It's a site that's often left off the itinerary for some reason, but well worth it in good conditions.

Have fun, but don't count on 29 degrees. Last time I was there it was (OH MY GOD) 27!!!!! That makes me shiver to think about it.

Thank you so much mgmonk! That makes totally sense:D

We decided to stay 5 nights at Pimalai so I'm diving with them and husband will go along and snorkel. They had an offer stay 5 nights and pay for 3 nights, so it was not too bad. I guess the tourists are coming in less number, so many places has good offers. Last half of the trip is still unplanned.

Good to get a description about the five or six islands. I sure hope to see that seahorse. And the ornate ghost pipefish would also be nice to see. I guess the weather conditions have to decide where to dive that day.

27C...I have a 5mm full wetsuit, maybe I shall bring it?

Last week was pretty windy, still got out to Shark Point with 2m swells though!! made it even better as there were fewer Phuket boats there!:D Phi Phi was aweful.:shakehead: This week though, much better and vis around Phi Phi much improved as of yesterday (22nd), even restarted the speed boat trips down to Hin Daeng and Koh Ha Yai. I did notice it was pretty "red" below 20m around Koh Bida Nok yesterday but quite clear above.
Still got plenty of seahorses around our local islands though, even found a blue one during a night dive this week. Enjoy Lanta Maggy!

Temperatures have got as low as 26C in places, still ok with a 3mm shortie, but sometimes I get out my 5/4/3 if I'm doing 3 or 4 dives a day.

Thanks for the update Katdiver.

We will probably continue to Ao Nang after Lanta, but have not decide where to stay yet. Where in Ao Nang are you situated, in case I would pay you a visit and book another dive day.

I'll leave my 5 mm wetsuit at home. Checked my logbook and saw that I dove in 79F/26C last year in a 3 mm shortie, but I remember being a little cold in the end of the dives.

I hope the wind will slow down, as it's much harder to dive and snorkel in swells, including a bumpy boat ride.

Wow Batfish, that was a really informative site. But I will go crazy if I look at this too much:D.

You might think that I am super worried about the weather, but I am really not. I hope for some sun and and warmth (26-27 is perfect) and if I can dive a day or two I am perfectly happy.

Ticker now says 3 days and 10 hours:banana:.

Last edited:
Pimalai is a very nice resort/operation from what I hear. It's a bit too far removed for me (I live up in town), but the two instructors I know that work there are happy.

Let's get something straight about this wetsuit issue though. I'll BUY your 5mm off you it it fits. I don't care what anyone says, but I wear a 3mm full length and hood, and I've been absolutely freezing the last week. Bottom temp at 30m at Koh Ha, Phi Phi Lei, both Bida islands were all 26. Average was 27. Now I know I dive everyday, so my blood is thin and I'm a whiny baby, but everyone who works on our boat had been adding layers, and even customers who aren't diving but a day or two are requesting full lengths. Granted they're 3mm full lengths, but unless you're right on the line baggage wise, I vote to bring it. If you don't want it... i'll borrow it.

Seriously, or email Pimalai and request the option of a full length. Most companies do 60 minute dives and do the full 60 minutes. If you're experienced and you're "first in first out" you can get 8o min easy. That's great fun and good value, but not if you're cold after 30 min. Know what I mean?

Anyway, all of us have our fingers crossed that the wind dies down and the temperature rises slightly. It was stunning only three weeks ago, so let's say that you're going to bring us good luck.

enjoy

mgmonk, that is such valuable information! Thank you for letting me know. I have just sent an email to Pimalai and asked them.

If they don't have any, I will bring mine. It's a girl model, so unless you are a girl, it might not fit you:D. Are they hard to find there?

I dove the wreck of the Rhone in BVI in April and it was 26C and after 35 minutes I was cold and wanted to end the dive. Could have used the wetsuit then, but I find it much easier with a shortie when it comes to buoyancy control.

Also thanks for letting me know that they are a good operation.

I'll bring all the luck and warmth I can. What happend to the global warming in Thailand?

That's the funny thing about global warming. It leads to global cooling too. climate change. The name of the game.

Right now there's a strong scenario of upwelling, where colder water from deep is getting pushed closer to the shallows as the shore winds blow warm water out. With that it's bringing bad visibility and lots of micro-organisms, plankton, and general poop (that's a technical term).

Observe how upwelling occurs.

that's got a nice animation of what it looks like , or
NOAA Ocean Explorer: Sanctuary Quest

for more details.

Batfish is right, windguru is predicting the waves/wind to drop around Mon afternoon, so hopefully things are looking sunny. Still, the temps are all 26 and 27. Remember 29 and 30 lat year..... oh the olden days.

No, I'm not a girl, but I am in Thailand, and people have been known to be gender flexible. For a good wetsuit, I just might go see the doctor :)

Haha - maybe I shall sell you the wetsuit.

I remember reading about upwelling in the AOW course (or was it OW?). I guess we will still consider it quite warm in Thailand, but all times I have been there I have never used a long sleeved t-shirt. But I will pack one now.

The main goal with the vacation is to relax, recharge the batteries and just have a nice time. Any diving is a bonus.

Thanks again for all the help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom